Do u still read today?

I mean, in today's world, do u still read books? The printed books?

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

yes, i prefer them

Yes, I sit in front of a monitor all day a work. Very nice not to have light glaring at you :)

Books > The computer

Yes I'm with xan. If i read for leisure i like paper because my eyes are strained by 7 pm.

The weird thing is that i keep my laptop next to me so i can look up and reference topics of interest in the paper book. I keep a checklist of topics that interest me or need further explanation, which i go through the following morning. Ironically, I usually read more hours online, going through these topics, than i do the actual paper book. But in the end I absorb alot more material because of it.

then again i think i'm kinda unique because all i read for leisure is history or economic theory books. i love biographies of economists.
yeah, I know it sounds nerdy :^)

Do u still read today?

Definitely. Especially authors that actually take the time to put all of the letters in their words.

Yes I'm with xan. If i read for leisure i like paper because my eyes are strained by 7 pm.

The weird thing is that i keep my laptop next to me so i can look up and reference topics of interest in the paper book. I keep a checklist of topics that interest me or need further explanation, which i go through the following morning. Ironically, I usually read more hours online, going through these topics, than i do the actual paper book. But in the end I absorb alot more material because of it.

then again i think i'm kinda unique because all i read for leisure is history or economic theory books. i love biographies of economists.
yeah, I know it sounds nerdy :^)

I prefer to read with a desk lamp :)
Then again, the books I read are generally fiction of the Horror or Thriller variety :D

I find biographies boring. If I want to know something about a person, I have Google!

Edit:
Does anyone else find it odd the : D smiley looks like this :D?

I do think no matter how the e-reading has developed, it could not replace the tradtional way of reading. It is more about reading, holding a book, and smell the ink is a kind of pleasure for me!

ye, I read 'anime manga' though watching anime on tv is more fun...( I spend a lot of time reading it than my Java book ^.^ )

I guess it will be a trend that the e-book gonna take some share of the traditional books! And it will have an effect on the people's reading habits!

Not only do I still read the printed word, but I still write books that are published in dead tree format as well.

As an author, I have to say that there is nothing quite like getting the pre-press copies of a proper book in your hands. The look and feel, the smell, the ability to sign inside the cover and give a copy to your loved ones (even if they don't want it) and so on. The e-book loses all of that.

It's hard to explain, I guess that all lovers of the written word will know what I mean, but there is something special about sitting down with a book that you just don't get with an e-reader device.

I say this as a confirmed geek and early adopter. Confused? You betcha!

There is nothing quite as satisfying as gently closing the book after finishing the story :)

Well, at least i still read newpapers which are in the printed form!

There is nothing quite as satisfying as gently closing the book after finishing the story :)

Well, share the same feeling here!

Or tossing a really terrible book against the wall!

Still read real books, just not as often; back before computers I could read a couple books a week - now it takes a couple weeks to read a book.

No. I don't read anymore. I haven't read a book since middle school.

If a book becomes a movie, I am more inclined to watch it rather than read.

I read occasionally. Authors I like include: David Baldacci, John Grisham, Brian Jacques, J.K. Rowling.

Constantly! I've joined three book discussion groups (try Osher Lifelong Learning Institutes, or Great Books), and have six library cards for colleges and public libraries within a ten-mile radius. Add to that a new Kindle with access to ebooks on the internet (check out the Gutenberg project). Fiction (mystery, action, sci-fi) and nonfiction, it's all good.

Do u still read today?

Just a quick example: what's the effect of policing drugs, if not to evolve smarter and more ruthless drug lords? And what do the drug lords want above all else? To pay our politicians to keep drugs illegal, and profits high.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.