Along with Vegetarian Awareness, Toilet Tank Repair, and Pet Wellness, October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month.

Who knew.

"The National Cyber Security Alliance, along with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the Multi-State Information Sharing and Analysis Center, sponsors National Cyber Security Awareness Month every October since its founding in 2003. The three organizations work together to help consumers, schools, businesses and government agencies stay safe online, with October being a special time for focused public awareness and education."

(Why October? They don't say.)

Simultaneous events will be held on Monday in Seattle and Arlington, Va., with speakers such as Howard Schmidt, Special Assistant to the President and Cybersecurity Coordinator for the White House, and Jane Holl Lute, Deputy Secretary for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

In addition, an October 6 event at Intel headquarters in Silcon Valley will offer on online safety awareness and education hosted by the National Cyber Security Alliance and the Anti-Phishing Working Group, including a “Smokey Bear” national public awareness campaign on cybersecurity.

(You think I'm making this stuff up?)

Have your own event planned? Register it.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Does anyone know if there is something like this in Australia?

I find most of these campaigns to be rather... weak. They seem to avoid the truth to a certain extent.

Yes that week-long thing rings a bell. But I just feel like people still don't get the idea unless they're shown exactly what things can go wrong.

I expect there's plenty of people out there who'd be willing to show them. :)

I expect there's plenty of people out there who'd be willing to show them. :)

i simply ask a question how many people know about this.The main thing how many ready to do all this stuff.

I don't know anything about the said event and I think it is hard to be safe online since internet is a huge virtual world.

I don't really think it's hard to keep safe... you've just go to know how to identify something that's not safe and take the few simple steps to ensure your online security.

Such as, not responding to the email I got this morning, purporting to be from Google, that I had to give it my account, date of birth, and password within 72 hours or my Google Mail account would be canceled, and "Google will not be heard responsible."

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.