zack_falcon 0 Junior Poster in Training

Let me begin by introducing my gaming style. I am in no way a hyper-competitive type of gamer with the sole purpose of making my enemies submit a "GG" before logging off. So if that's your definition of a hardcore gamer, then I'm afraid I'm not one.

I love games like Oblivion, Fallout 3, Jedi Outcast, MechWarrior 4. I love to look at the little details, observe, and explore what that *world* has to offer, so to speak.

Then came StarCraft (1). My first real taste of competitive gaming. Nevertheless I like the game, because it has something that I like. A good story, and excellent gameplay. On multiplayer, I could hold my own, and I could actually win when paired with a good, understanding partner / team.

I play mostly as the Zerg. I found the Zerg race fun, and when left to mid to late game, very deadly. True, their early game sucks, but good team mates know that, and will help me until I can mass enough to stand on my own.

And then StarCraft II came. IMO, StarCraft II happens to be less of a strategy game than its predecessor, and more of a "Pick a build, hope your opponent did not pick the counter-build, and rush rush 'til he dies." - Made worse by the fact that some counters are better than others.

I'm not above to admitting I'm not very good at it. Of course, I play as the Zerg, since I absolutely loved them from SC1. But IMO, the Zerg got the short end of the rope in terms of new units and new strategies. I'm not a whiner, however, and this thread is not for that.

What I'm asking for, for lack of better word, is help. Or advice. Preferably, from good StarCraft II Zerg players. I've won some games, but only with friends, only with people who understand the weakness of Zerg's early game. Otherwise, it's "GG."

So here's the breakdown of what I usually do:
> I don't scout using my drones. I use my Overlords. The Zerg's starting economy is so weak that a drone lost is a big blow.
> I don't build Hydras. They come too late in the game, have only 80 health, and are never a threat to anything that's either faster, does better damage, or has better numbers.
> I rarely, if ever, build Banelings. They die before they reach their targets, and they do minimal damage compared to the losses I get (1 zergling, + 25 gas/min).
> Mostly I go either Zergling / Roach or Zergling / Muta. Predictable, I know, but what else does the Zerg have? Ultra? Lol.
> I usually go all out with my mutas when I have the chance. 30+ Mutas could bring an end to a base, even if they have turrets. Battlecruisers and Void Rays are not a problem. When Marines / Stalkers show up, I can always back out and attack again later.
> I follow orders pretty well. Paired with an intelligent team mate, I have a good chance of winning. Paired with someone who wants me to "attack the Void Rays with Roaches." and I'm done.

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. The Zerg is the hardest race to play, and I have to play keep up with the Terran's or Protoss' varied build orders.

My APM, according to my replays, is in the 70's. My highest would be in 110's. On average, I get 80-90. Pathetic, I know. Even more pathetic is that I have a friend who consistently wipes my armies on the floor, despite his 40 APM, because he plays Terran, and I can rarely predict his build. (This stopped when I learned the 6 Pool. Yes, I'm not above to using it.)

I've won only 8 or so league games out of the 30+ I've tried. It's a blow to my pride, and I've practically lost faith in the Zerg. And that whiny "spawn more overlords" voice doesn't help either.

So please. From a Zerg player to another. Any advice? Help? Build order? Or should I just switch races? Maybe I just don't have that *competitive* spirit that others have?

P.S. I might question some strategies that you might suggest. Nothing personal, I just want more details. A "go for a 7pool build" isn't very specific.

In return, I will share what I have, just so any other Zerg players out there won't suffer a similar, humiliating fate.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.