As a beginner i am very thankful for the advice given by people who clearly know far more about the subject than myself.

I have answered some threads that i feel i understand (sometimes), but i regularly see "experts" answering the most basic of questions (including mine).

Are you people just genuinely good human beings?

Recommended Answers

All 37 Replies

Answering in the forums feels more like a hobby than anything else. I also get to learn new stuff

Most definitely we are. We do not get paid, spend more time here than what is good for us, yet we are here.;)

It boils down to the satisfaction I suppose, and for some, a building of a reputation which can be used to further your career.

commented: good answer +0

I feel it is a good way to repeat techniques that I learned in the past, so they will root even better deep down somewhere in my brain :D

so they will root even better deep down somewhere in my brain

Very true. There is no better teacher than repetition.:)

I do it because I like to solve problems, educate people and educate myself.

I tend to answer questions in the C# forum (with occasional trips to other languages). As of .NET 3.5 there are 11,417 different types. I can't even begin to think about how to learn anything about all those types, but by looking at what other people are doing I get more exposure to the framework. Figuring out what is causing their problem lets me learn a little more each time. Will I ever know the whole framework? I doubt it, but at least I'll have seen more of it, and in the future might use some of the knowledge I've gained :)

not to mention people here are super nice, even when answering basic "i see this question CONSTANTLY" types of posts. Not all forums have experts that are not only helpful but friendly, too. lol Maybe these people are genuinely just good human beings.

There is an old saying, that it is better to give, than receive. I disagree with that, as it is far better to receive all the good information here on Daniweb, and in return, give out to someone else in need of receiving. It is like life should be, ideal, as when you breath, you receive air, but try to keep all that air inside yourself for longer than a few moments, you can't, you have to breath out again. (In other words, receive the air, and give it out again to stay alive)

Thats why, receiving information that might help others, should not be kept inside you, give it out freely, and you can stay alive.

The simple answer is "YES".

The only reward is that you have helped someone else and shared the benefit of your experience. Occasionally, you get a thank you. What can be frustrating is to put time into providing a good answer and that's the last thing that happens on that thread. You don't know if the original poster even came back to see it.

Answering questions, even the questions you've seen a hundred times, requires thinking about the way a language works, or the way a problem is constructed. This is very useful for becoming a better programmer. The first time you explain why it's important to override the hashCode() method if you override the equals() method, you might be repeating what you were told - you understand it, but you haven't really thought about it. The fourth or the seventh time, you might have a sudden realization about that question, and then suddenly you really start to get it. And then your own code gets better, in that area.
It also helps to instill good habits. If I'm telling people every day to obey this or that tenet of good style, I'm more likely to watch that in myself - otherwise, I might get sloppy. :)

And yeah, it's also nice to know that you've helped someone understand something they were having trouble with. That's pretty cool, too.

Maybe these people are genuinely just good human beings.

Or maybe we are just daft.;)

Kraai, you still alive. Good to see you reply again.;)

Occasionally, you get a thank you. What can be frustrating is to put time into providing a good answer and that's the last thing that happens on that thread.

So true. You spend time AND resources to get absolutely nothing back. Funny though, you get to know the chancer's. I just refuse to reply on their threads, watching all the "stupid" replies they get.... :)

you've helped someone understand something they were having trouble with. That's pretty cool, too.

True, especially when you go through about ten posts just to understand the real problem and solve it in about 3 lines of code!:)

Yeah, I'm kicking, alive and well! :)

Says the "SHARK"!!! :)

You can change your signature now "Oh Yes, a very happy new year to you!" It tends to show your age.;)

:) :) How about this one?

See, there you helped another again with some advice!

What can I say...:)

>> Are you people just genuinely good human beings?

Me? Mhuahahaha :icon_evil:

no.

commented: hahahaha .. I was about to type something similar =P what a Q .. +0

Far from it. In my case it's enlightened self-interest. By answering questions I have more control over the next generation of developers. Since these people will be my peers in the future, I want them to be reasonably competent.

For me, I learn a great deal in the research; plus, I have ADD so I learn even more from the tangents.

I have ADD

I'm sure you've got a few other opcodes too, like MUL or something. I'm going to duck to avoid whatever you have just thrown at me.

Me, I do it for the parties at the mansion in Long Island, all the fast cars, speedboats, caviar...a chance to rub elbows with some mathematical models...

...and I suppose there's quite a bit of reward in helping somebody who might have a lot of potential but just doesn't quite get it the right way the first time or helping someone who's "forced" to take a course in CS to realize that the thought process of programming is an important one, no matter what you are going to become.

Far from it. In my case it's enlightened self-interest. By answering questions I have more control over the next generation of developers. Since these people will be my peers in the future, I want them to be reasonably competent.

Would "self-interest" not be to keep them all dumb so as they can't surpass you and take your job away.

Only if you have no confidence in your own ability. I want to be surrounded by people smarter than me so I can learn from them. That means I encourage people to be as smart as they are capable of being.

commented: Well said. +0

I want to be surrounded by people smarter than me so I can learn from them. That means I encourage people to be as smart as they are capable of being.

Well said.

so if cuts come to your department you still?

want to be surrounded by people smarter than me so I can learn from them

so if cuts come to your department you still?

What a cowardly attitude. Fear of competition doesn't promote quality software. Look at it from monopolies and fighting for market control on the business end, which is roughly identical to the kind of backstabbing that you've been implying. How often does that result in a superior product?

Fear of competition is essential, otherwise you get lazy and cease to compete. Also are people here out to change the world or just to change their world.

How very depressing.
frogboy, I've known a lot of really smart people in this business - starting before it was really much of a business, when I was a kid in the '80s playing on the computers at Stanford - and I've seen a lot of really neat stuff. I've never seen fear and competitiveness driving smart people to get smarter or to develop neat stuff. The smartest people I've known have been the ones who have shared the most of what they've known.
And, if I can say it without giving offense, the least useful and the least interesting and the first fired have always been the ones with the attitude you're advocating.

Fear of competition is essential, otherwise you get lazy and cease to compete.

That's nonsensical. If you're afraid of competing, you're not going to compete. You're either going to fail, or try to squash all competition. Both of those are unproductive.

I started answering questions here to give back. I got a good piece of code from one of the DaniWeb contributors, and felt it was worth it to help out some. It also helps me be a better teacher in seeing more problems that students have, and working out how to express answers that will be clear to the student.

commented: Good to see ya +0

"Practice makes perfect" applies on both sides of the teacher's desk...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.