I am a fresh graduate of B.S. Information Technology. I am using VB.net in programming for almost 2 years now.
But I want to level up in a way that someone can hire me to be a real programmer.

My question is, how can I entitle my self as a Programmer? Do I need training or something?
Jobs available always requires a year or more exp. Only thos IT staff things are not always required to have an exp.
Not saying I won't grab that opportunity of a job, it's just that I want to be better.

Btw, I'm from Cavite, Philippines. :D

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

well one thing is, learning more than one PL i think..

Blantantly copied from another site:

Rather than trying to implement solutions to abstract problems, how about trying to write a real, useful program? Try to implement a chess program in the language of your choice, or write an app for a smartphone. The key to being able to program is to be able to break down large, complex problems into a whole bunch of little, approachable problems, and that's something you learn to be able to do by setting out to solve a large, complex problem, rather than a bitesized technical challenge.

I'm not very experienced but I have been doing exactly what jakedrake333 suggests for 2 years and it DOES work. Imust add that trying to make a program that is useful for your own job is also a way of keeping yourself motivated and engaged with the project.

Look for any jobs relating to what you have practiced and surround yourself with professionals. In this way you can learn more by asking and learning from them.

Don't pin yourself on one language.

like to play music on your pc? write your own mp3-player
don't create your gui's with an "look-I-can-write-code" editor like the one implemented in Netbeans, it'll stop you from actually learning how to write gui-code.
use external lib's (writing your own code is important, being able to re-use existing code at least as important)
write the logic and think how you can improve it all.

don't use outlook, ... write your own mail client.
in the end, practice makes perfect.

My degree was in Computer Science. I don't know what topics get covered in Information Technology these days but I was amazed at how much the curriculum had changed from when I got my degree in 1977 and when my younger son graduated from the same University in 2009. There was a lot more emphasis on programming and numerical analysis back in the 70s.

The earlier advice (learn more programming languages) is sound. If you know only one language your mind gets stuck in one mode of thinking. It's the old "if the only tool you have is a hammer you tend to see every problem as a nail" scenario. You are better off learning a few languages reasonably well than many poorly.

I've found that a good way to learn is by answering questions on this forum. If I see an interesting question that I don't know the answer to I do a little research and a little experimenting.

Thanks for all the Tips. It is really helping. More tips would be nice. :D

Programming is practice, practice, practice... One option not mentioned yet, join an Open Source project, get involved.

"Practice makes man perfect"
-Write lot of programs both big and small and then try to improve your programs
-try to learn about software design patterns
-let some skilled person to review your code
-broaden your horizon by learning multiple programming languages
-read some good coding books

I agree with several points mentioned above.

If you like music write some form of a music editor/player. Video, same thing. Whatever it is, write something that you are interested in. As Apple says: make something you would want to use. It's great practice, gives you something to show and you'll most likely sound passionate when describing it (always a plus).

Open source is a great way to learn from code and to contribute to a project as well.

Learn to write GUIs and not have to use a WYSIWYG. It seems everyone these days only knows Drag-and-Drop GUI development. It will increase your understanding of how it works, and maybe make you more knowledgable than others at the work-place.

Learn several languages (or at least a few). Personally I've used Java, C, C++, C#, Python, Cobra, Haskell, LISP and even played with Assembly. However I only know C++, Python and LISP very well. Each new language gives a new way of thinking, and that can help emmensly. Reciently (and currently) I was working on a personal project in C++ and started longing for some features in Python and C#, so now I know how they work and I can either write those parts in Python and include it in the program, or write C++ code to mimic the Python code. Either way will make my programming easier and faster in the long run.

And my personal favorite: answering questions on DaniWeb! This can be quite fun as you never know what to expect. A while ago I was on the Python forum and ended up writing a text-based, looping and exiting password program (it's simpler than it sounds, around 20 lines of code). It didn't take very long and I learned some new things in Python. It can also be usefull to keep up on the languages you don't use as often by randomly looking and helping with something reletivly simple. It's satisfying to help people, and a great way to meet and befriend them. :)

Hope I helped some, and best of luck,

WolfShield

interesting your perspective

I would say you need to ensure that you understand how to code rather than an actual language. Once you have the programming principals nailed, its just a matter or implementing them on a different language. Personally, I would recommend C as most modern languages are derived in some way from C so you will be able to pick up different languages up much faster afterwards.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.