So today I made a realization in my programming hobby,
I LOVE making the User Interfaces of programs. The core stuff I usually lose interest in, but I could program GUIs all day long and not get tired of it. This made me quite happy to finally realize.

So, my question is if there is a career where that is all you do? Application GUI development. Or if that is just a part of application development and doesn't have it's own job anywhere?

Also, if I were to learn all the intricacies of GUI development, do you guys think that I could get freelance jobs doing it?

Thanks for the info,

- WolfShield

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

There does exist this notion of "front-end developer". There is a market for those skills. How much money you could make depends on how good you are and how good you are at getting people to give you money.

Alright,
Very cool! Thanks, I'll be looking into it some more. :)

- WolfShield

If you really want to pursue this (I've had colleagues in this business), what I recommend is learn about user experience too.

http://ux.stackexchange.com/

Cool!
Thanks for the tip! Btw, what languages and GUI toolkits do your colleagues use mostly? I would assume that Java would be quite common. As well as any cross-platform toolkits (wxWidgets, GTK, etc.), just if you happen along the info. If not, of course that's fine.

Again, thanks,

- WolfShield

Our new product has a Silverlight front-end, so he uses Blend.

Alright,
Thanks a lot for your time pritaeas and Rashakil.

- WolfShield

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.