I just recently finished the first season of The Winchesters, and was unfortunately a bit disappointed by how it ended. It felt incredibly predictable.

Currently my husband and I are watching Orphan Black (We are on season 2).

May I recommend Severance on Apple TV+. I really loved the season one finale and how it all came together, and I'm really looking forward to season two.

Recommended Answers

All 29 Replies

I just finished the second last episode of Ted Lasso, season 2. I'd seen it before but number two son was interested so we've been watching it while we do weights. Last night we watched Amsterdam (fictionalized drama of the time big business wanted to stage a military coup and out FDR). Before that we got partway through The White Lotus, season 2 before giving up. The Yellowstone sequel, 1923, looks like a winner though. After tennis is done we'll start The Murdaugh Murders and Queen's Gambit.

Queen's Gambit was okay. I think my husband liked it more than I did.

I've been hearing lots of people talk about Ted Lasso but I'm not sure what it is other than a popular comedy of some kind.

When I first heard about Ted Lasso I gave it a pass (yet another sports series). The only sports series I ever recall enjoying was Friday Night Lights. But for some reason after it got into season two I started watching and was hooked at the first episode. It's really funny, exceptionally well written, and has a great cast. Our favourite character is Roy Kent. The actor who plays him was originally just a writer on the show but they realized he was the best choice to play Roy.

In summary, Ted Lasso is an American football coach who is going through a separation. His wife wanted space so he took a job as a soccer coach for a pro team in London. Unbeknownst to him, the only reason he was hired was because the woman who got the team in her divorce wanted to ensure the team's failure to spite her ex.

Another new show we really like is Alaska Daily.

And if you have never watched The Good Place you have to give it a try.

I might give that a try this summer. We just finished Foyle's War and we're ready for something not war-related.

My issue is that I don’t really enjoy comedies. I like sci-fi and fantasy, mostly.

Basically my criteria is that, after sitting down and watching something, I like to leave feeling like I didn’t waste my time because either it was thought provoking in some way, or I feel like I got something out of the experience.

It doesn’t have to be mind blowing. I just want to feel like I’m not losing brain cells watching cartoonish characters acting dumb on purpose, which is why I’m not a big fan of comedies or anything after cheap laughs. I just don’t get anything out of them.

That's what I liked about The Good Place. One of the characters (Chidi) is a former philosophy professor and there is a lot of discussion of the concepts of good and evil. Reminded me of my intro to philosophy class way back. The episode on the trolley problem was hilarious and thought-provoking.

As for the other genres, have you seen Devs? Or Night Sky? I've seen Devs already but not the other.

That's what I liked about The Good Place.

I saw The Good Place, and it was lighthearted entertainment / a "fluff" show to watch, but I still prefer more serious shows. If you liked The Good Place, then you should watch Upload, if you haven't already seen it. IMHO they are quite similar in terms of their target demographic, style of humor, mix of lightheartedness with theology, etc. In Upload, once you die you have the option to pay to have your consciousness uploaded into the cloud.

I have not seen The Man from Earth or Arrival, and will check them both out.

FYI The Man From Earth was written by Jerome Bixby. Among other things he wrote

1. Mirror Mirror
  2. By Any Other Name
  3. Day of the Dove
  4. Requiem for Methuselah

episodes of the original Star Trek. Item #4 may relate to the movie. The movie also features several Star Trek alumni.

Upload looks intriguing.

If you liked The Good Place, you really can’t not watch Upload.

It's in the queue. I'll try one tonight. Just curious, since you are not keen on sitcoms, as an insider, what did you think of Silicon Valley? I'm sure you at least had a peek.

I enjoyed Silicon Valley, but only because I watched it when I was on a high of having recently moved to downtown Palo Alto, and I enjoyed all of the hidden references.

It’s not something I would watch if it wasn’t for a combination of both how relatable it was as well as being filmed literally in my backyard (as in my actual street address was even mentioned in one episode, the supermarket scenes were in my local kosher market, etc.)

I watched episode one of Upload. It looks promising. I have to wonder though about the wisdom of having a viewing window into the upload process room. But, seriously, in 2033 a punctured lung is considered fatal but he can still sit in the chair? For the sake of comedy I can overlook that.

Mostly rewatching old and favorite shows, like Twin Peaks

My husband went through a phase a few months ago where he binge watched the entire series Gilmore Girls. Yes, my middle-aged husband is apparently a teenage girl.

commented: How did he feel about Dawson's Creek? +0
commented: When I had time recently I pulled up Red Dwarf and the entire UFO series. +0

I enjoy Korean dramas. And I just finished a fantasy novel. I'm on the lookout for a gripping new drama. While in case you've got any suggestions.

It's late, but I've finally caught up on all of the seasons of "Money Heist."

How did he feel about Dawson's Creek?

Hahaha!

So at a friend's recommendation, we are now watching Orphan Black. I think the premise is good, and the acting (especially by the lead) is amazing, but the amount of retconning that is happening, as the seasons go on, is getting to be just way too much.

Big bang theory

Season two of Your Honor. Bryan Cranston is a respected New Orleans judge whose 17 year-old son hits and kills another teen boy on a motorcycle while suffering a severe asthma attack while driving. It turns out that the dead boy is the son of a local mobster.

pritaeas, what did you think of 3%? I saw it a couple of years ago.

Sticking with the Sci-fi genre, although a bit more lighthearted, my husband and I are currently watching Resident Alien.

I liked the concept, but some choices in the movie I remember I thought were strange. However, this is a while back, so please don't ask specifics.

Resident Alien started funny, but didn't grab my attention.

Latest I quite liked was "Vis-a-vis" (Spanish).

We watched Resident Alien. Liked season 1 but it kind of petered out after that. I have not heard of 3%. What is it about and who is in it? I can't find it on IMDB.

We just finished Apples Never Fall, and 3 Body Problem is in the queue.

Doesn't the link I posted open? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4922804/

This is the tagline on IMDB: "A post-apocalyptic thriller set in near-future Brazil, where a select few are allowed to join a privileged society after undergoing an intense and competitive process."

It is a Brasilian production, so I doubt I can mention anyone you might know.

3 Body Problem is in the queue

Here too.

Doesn't the link I posted open?

My mistake. I just scrolled back to the last couple of posts, not far enough to see the link.

Dani - if you like Resident Alien I suggest you watch the movie, Tucker and Dale vs Evil.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.