Hello everyone. Which of these do you prefer? As people who know me would agree, I'm a bit of a depressive ******* somtimes :sad: . So, obviously I'm voting for the Chronicles (which for the uninitiated, is one of the darkest fantasy series' ever written). I do really like the other two as well though.

Steven.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

If you look in my personal library, you'll notice a certain tendency to buy different editions of the Lord Of the Rings (and secondary literature to go with it).
I currently own 6 editions, have owned 2 more but gave them away when they became rather dogeared.

Must have read it 15 times at least over the last 17 years (when my love affair with it began).

Hello everyone. Which of these do you prefer? As people who know me would agree, I'm a bit of a depressive ******* somtimes :sad: . So, obviously I'm voting for the Chronicles (which for the uninitiated, is one of the darkest fantasy series' ever written). I do really like the other two as well though.

Steven.

Of course, I love LOTR (books, not the movies that much), but I really prefer Dune. I prefer "dark" themes in general-- LOTR is a bit too light-hearted at times and it is a bit cliche, or rather, I suppose it is the dictionary for fantasy\ magic cliche knock-offs. Enough of "Orcs" already.

Most of what I read is: Charles Dickens (fave author), Yukio Mishima (Japanese-- dark at times but lovely), Gabriel Garcia (Colombian); dark with bright magical-realism. American "Literature"? No-- overall, IMO, it is commercial junk.

Regards,
sharky_machine

I agree LOTR is Cool Dune also rocks But have any of you guys read Discworld novels from Terry Prachet ?? Like ... Soul Music, Mort, The Light Fantastic???

Obi

Out of those, Dune, no contest.

Mind you, give me a healthy dose of Discworld any day... :)

LOTR for me...

I've been reading Discworld lately. Also, many of the Zanth novels (Piers Anthony) are wonderful for geeks -- very punny -- er -- funny!

I'm just about through with the Chronicles septet, two more to go. And the Wizard of Oz books are pretty neat. These can be downloaded from Project Gutenberg.

ah, Pratchett. Another favourite of mine. I've about half his work in first edition hardcovers, the rest (ALL of it except trucker, diggers, and what was that other one) in softcover.

The Discworld series is good with me, but my absolute favorites are the Discworld adventures of Tiffany in "The Wee Free Men" and "A Hat Full of Sky".

I haven't read the book Dune but the movie is great. I've seen the movie so many times that I wore out the tape (vhs) and had to buy a new copy.

i'm a sucker for the Boxcar children series if i might say so..., :lol:

I have pretty much everything that Pratchett has published, much of it signed by the man himself courtesy of knowing him from many years back - Terry belonged to the Cix online community here in the UK, would pop up and catch people by suprise in the pratchett forums. He used to do the same on Usenet, once I had explained how to reply/post on Usenet, but nobody believed it was him :)

The Discworld series is good with me, but my absolute favorites are the Discworld adventures of Tiffany in "The Wee Free Men" and "A Hat Full of Sky".

You'll like Wintersmith then, it also features the Wee Big Hag :p

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.