Indeed. Rashakil is sure to sweep this thread and give us all bad rep lol..

Anyway, what's the longest book yall have ever read? (Bible doesn't count)

This one i have on computer repair (its like 1200 pages)

I think that's probably the lord of the rings.

commented: I like that book very much. Read it a couple times. +5

If you keep posting his handler name you surely are going to wear it
out. May be he needs to ask you for royalties for using his alias so many times.

I haven't read a whole book in a while, but the longest one I can remember is the harry potter goblet of fire book.

If you keep posting his handler name you surely are going to wear it
out. May be he needs to ask you for royalties for using his alias so many times.

What would you rather me do? Call him Sam? I can't.. thats the name of my comp sci. teacher.. it would feel kinda weird lol =p

Ahh dang it. Why not? Lol

Cause that is an obvious answer.

i dunno about single book because you dont really get many books above 700 pages save the bible. But the Dark Tower would probably be the longest but thats more 7 books. A really good series if you have alot of time on your hands because not only is it just those 7 books but there is also alot of reference to characters and events in his other books such as hearts in atlantis, Salems Lot, From a Buick 8 and pretty much any of kings books.

Basically your looking at 2500 or so pages for the 7 books in the series and then another 4-700 pages for any other books that add to the story as a whole.

Cause that is an obvious answer.

I don't know of too many that have read the entire Bible.

commented: I have. +6

Harry Potter books are > 700 pages (A few are, I think)

I'm sure some are over 1000 I thought.

yeah but lets face it harry potter is an easy read even though its 700 pages in volume its not exactly 700 pages in content when compared to something like Stephen King's 700 pages or Anne Rice. Infact really measuring the length of a book by its pages is quite a bad way to go about it since there is such a variation in text sizes used.

commented: Aia was here. Let's make it count. +5

Harry Potter may be written in a larger font than usual.. but those damn books are huge! I get a work out by just hauling those things around..

yeah but its more for the illusion of value those books could be alot smaller.

If you've got Firefox (I don't know about support else-browser), you might be interested in the Groowe Search Toolbar. I use it for Wikipedia sometimes, but Clusty is my default.

There is another pretty handy Firefox add-on called "Research Word" that allows you highlight a word in the browser, right-click, and search for it in several different place like Wikipedia, Google Definitions, Dictionary.com, etc.

harry potter will forever become a legend and has already made its mark like lord of the rings and chronicles of narnia..

you have to rember though that there was not as many people who could read when books like lord of the rings and chronicles of narnia as well as books cost alot more for their day as well which would cause people to share books rather then everyone buying a copy of the same book and people just not buying it because they could not read. Which could have greatly reduced the sales of such books in their time.

Infact its really only been in the last few decades that those books have really become popular where as harry potter was pretty much all the rage as soon as it came out so i think their is the possibility that its popularity could burn out once all the books have come out and the movies. My main justification in saying this is because we are a very craze based society and we tend to get really excited over the latest cool thing however as soon as the next thing comes out we tend to forget all about the previous one. I can already see this sort of trend with Harry Potter inbetween the new books and the movies we do not really hear much about it at all however i do not think there has been enough time inbetween books and movies for it to really die out so it will be interesting to see what actually happens once the new book has come out.

I think these trends are more obious in children for example im young enough to have been caught up in the pokemon generation which quickly moved into digimon and then crazy bones. However i think if you pay close attention to "adult society" we can see similar but less obious traits in especially things like technology.

you have to rember though that there was not as many people who could read when books like lord of the rings and chronicles of narnia as well as books cost alot more for their day as well which would cause people to share books rather then everyone buying a copy of the same book and people just not buying it because they could not read. Which could have greatly reduced the sales of such books in their time.

Damn.. ever heard of punctuation? This doesn't make much sense..

Infact its really only been in the last few decades that those books have really become popular where as harry potter was pretty much all the rage as soon as it came out so i think their is the possibility that its popularity could burn out once all the books have come out and the movies. My main justification in saying this is because we are a very craze based society and we tend to get really excited over the latest cool thing however as soon as the next thing comes out we tend to forget all about the previous one. I can already see this sort of trend with Harry Potter inbetween the new books and the movies we do not really hear much about it at all however i do not think there has been enough time inbetween books and movies for it to really die out so it will be interesting to see what actually happens once the new book has come out.

I think these trends are more obious in children for example im young enough to have been caught up in the pokemon generation which quickly moved into digimon and then crazy bones. However i think if you pay close attention to "adult society" we can see similar but less obious traits in especially things like technology.

*obvious
*in between is two words.

Anyway, I seriously doubt the Harry Potter craze will be extinguished as soon as the last book comes out... Look at Lord of the Rings.. The movies and everything has been out a long time, and still people love it. Look at Star Wars. First came out in what, 1977? It was popular even before the release of episodes 1-3.

No, people were more literate back then than they are now. I give the above-quoted text as evidence.

hahaa.. Can't disagree with that..

Let's see here.. misspelling, run-on sentence, no punctuation, more misspelling, huge fluctuations from one idea to another.. not on topic, fragment. Did I miss anything?

No, people were more literate back then than they are now. I give the above-quoted text as evidence.

It is a compelling argument....

I disagree with that, you are assuming that people of the past are more literate are you not. Your 'evidence' is un-convincing.

Or have i got the wrong end of the stick here???

His argument was based on the quote that had bad spelling and poor grammar. It represents today's literacy. (And that post didn't help your argument much.) Lol.

haha.. yea, man.. he was just joking around.. ;)

I think that things like correct spelling and punctuation may be starting to fall again mainly due to the internet and online chat. I am no exception to this especially when i post in the wee hours of the morning.

Maybe this did not come across as well as i would like in my last post(probably because of the spelling errors and lack of punctuation josh so quickly pointed out). What i actually said though was that there would be nowhere near the number of copies of a particular book floating around that we see today. So although something like Lord of the Rings would have been a popular book i do not think there would be the same sort of popularity that we would see today.

When i talk about the literacy levels i don't mean things like spelling and grammar etc. I was talking about the number of people who could actually read which would have been alot less then what we see today. I think this would have also supressed the popularity of such books.

I think that things like correct spelling and punctuation may be starting to fall again mainly due to the internet and online chat. I am no exception to this especially when i post in the wee hours of the morning.

Maybe this did not come across as well as i would like in my last post(probably because of the spelling errors and lack of punctuation josh so quickly pointed out). What i actually said though was that there would be nowhere near the number of copies of a particular book floating around that we see today. So although something like Lord of the Rings would have been a popular book i do not think there would be the same sort of popularity that we would see today.

When i talk about the literacy levels i don't mean things like spelling and grammar etc. I was talking about the number of people who could actually read which would have been alot less then what we see today. I think this would have also supressed the popularity of such books.

Ah, much better ;)

I disagree, though. When LOTR came out, it isn't like the literacy rate was significantly lower than what it is now..

Ah, much better ;)

I disagree, though. When LOTR came out, it isn't like the literacy rate was significantly lower than what it is now..

It was written in the 50's and I am fairly certain that literacy rates were much lower.

Wheres the data from the 50s? I seriously doubt the literacy rate was much lower than what it is now..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.