Can you add the icode button to the Quick Reply? I tend to use it (as previously mentioned ad nauseum :icon_razz:) for anything in which fixed font helps text stand out better. In fact, I probably use it more than code tags. I would find the button link handy.

Another approach might be to go with the [tt][/tt] ("teletype" I believe is what it was elseweb) shorthand. But I guess that was already rejected. :'(
:P

Rashakil Fol commented: learn 2 type +0

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

I like the icode idea too

Me too.

I'm sorry guys but I want to hold off doing this for right now. Newbies not using code tags are a huge issue for us, and we finally made some successful progress by incorporating the code button into the quick reply. I believe that having an icode button right next to it will really cause more confusion than it's worth, especially since only the regulars use icode tags for the most part, the button exists in advanced reply, and it's only one extra character that needs to be added to regular code tags that there already is a button for. (Keep in mind we already have a handful of newbies using icode tags instead of regular code tags without the button, so imagine if it was prominently right next to the code button)

Newbies not using code tags are a huge issue for us, and we finally made some successful progress

It must have been a sad state of affairs before that progress, because almost none of the new members use code tags in the C and C++ forums now.

Really? After implementing the buttons I asked if people noticed a difference and everyone said they did :(

I believe that having an icode button right next to it will really cause more confusion than it's worth

Just leave it as the cryptic green box and they'll never even notice?

especially since only the regulars use icode tags for the most part

Amenities for the regulars would be nice. I keep losing my favorite amenities with each upgrade. The newbs are spoonfed their preferences quite well already IMO.

[IMO]It seems that the longer one is here the more difficult it becomes to use the site (for me at least): searches, snippets, formatting options; finding things I know are here (somewhere). You may have your big database, but for ease-of-use, the smaller outfits have you beat hands down.[/IMO]

Well a lot of what I do is try my best to cater to as many people as I can. EVERYONE wants something completely different so it's frustrating to come up with a balance that works well for everyone, but I am trying my best, and I try not to leave any target group out. I think the reason we're always changing is because you really need to in order to stay competitive.

Really? After implementing the buttons I asked if people noticed a difference and everyone said they did :(

I did +rep a new poster in the past few days for having code tags on his first post. I know I haven't been hitting the "flag bad post" option nearly as much for code tags either. I would say it seems to have made a difference.

I notice a difference, now some people actually use it on their first post, before almost no-one did, so don't worry, your efforts there haven't gone to waste :icon_cool:

I think it also looks generally nicer than the '#' icon you had before too.

I also think that newbies use code-tags on the first post more often now. But I also think that the [icode]

[/icode] tags can be added to the quick-reply. As Dave mentioned, the mysterious green block that represents the tags is meaningless to newbies, so it can safely be added :)

I think it also looks generally nicer than the '#' icon you had before too.

I don't see any reason to have an icode button -- what's so difficult about just typing them in as you type? I don't use the code tag button either for the same reason. I can just type the tags by the time I have to remove my hands from the keyboard, find the mouse, move it to the button, click it, move the cursor between the two tags, move my right hand back to the keyboard, and begin typing again. All that's just too much effort.

I have to remove my hands from the keyboard, find the mouse, move it to the button, click it, move the cursor between the two tags, move my right hand back to the keyboard, and begin typing again. All that's just too much effort.

Simply put, "I have to click the button" :icon_wink:

To use the keyboard, it takes 15 actions, one for each letter you type, you only listed 7 for using the button :) Also, I usually select the code first then click the button, seems easier.

The only tags I type are the [b][/b] and [I][/I] tags, because they're short.

edit: You're welcome niek ;]

Let's look at a few examples of how I might use it "inline code" tags:

Some starters: Sort out your confusion about strings and numbers. Assignment is = , comparison is == . Multiline blocks are not determined by indentation in this curly-brace language.

No. But there are other methods that don't use push_back , like using a back_inserter with copy perhaps; or maybe something about writing an insert_iterator . :icon_wink:

%d -> %02d

#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
   int h = 1, m = 1, s = 1;
   printf("%02d:%02d:%02d", h, m, s);
   return 0;
}

/* my output
01:01:01
*/

I kinda find it a pain in the ass to type out the tags for something like = or %02d or where I use them several times in the same sentence. It's easier to do here in the "advanced reply", but I'd kinda like to do the same thing in the quick reply. I might have preferred something that didn't feel like a kludge like using the code tag button and modifying it. YMMV.

But I believe I've already been given the answer: no. Fine.

I agree with Dave. What I do now is click the CODE tag and add the I -- very pita.

And as for AD's solution, that's fine for him. Many times I'm not on the keyboard constantly and the rat is easier in those cases.

I am with AD.

I very rarely use the buttons, typing the tags is just as fast, if not faster (for me), than clicking a button :)

Also, getting people using Code tags consistently is more important than another (possibly confusing) button.

I will agree that the button could do with changing though, the green block doesn't mean anything (in fact, I didn't even know it was there till I saw this thread :$

I like the code idea too

+1

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.