Unique Posts Receiving Down-Votes: 29
Individual Members Who've Down-Voted: 6
Posts Currently Negative: 13

Now:

Total Down-Votes Received: 61
Unique Posts Receiving Down-Votes: 56
Individual Members Who've Down-Voted: 7
Posts Currently Negative: 34

So one new person cast a vote .. and 28 posts went down. Someone had a busy morning :)

I suspect if this were looked in to you would find Rashakil Fol behind it. The number of unique down voters went up by one, and my negative posts went up by 28. Someone is digging up threads just to down vote them.

Recommended Answers

All 81 Replies

Stop moaning.

commented: not likely! +0

I suspect if this were looked in to you would find Rashakil Fol behind it.

That's just crazytalk.

See you on IRC.

Actually, I was the first abuser of the voting system. I down voted every single post by The Mad Hatter. So...way to be wrong ;)

commented: nice job :P +0

Actually, I was the first abuser of the voting system. I down voted every single post by The Mad Hatter. So...way to be wrong ;)

Yeah, you and everyone else who read that thread ;)

commented: :D +0

The system is idiotic. Lets see how low we can get this post guys. -50?

The system is idiotic. Lets see how low we can get this post guys. -50?

One person can't knock you 50 points on one post. However, one person CAN pick 50 random posts of yours from a year ago and downvote each of them as fast as he/she can click and as fast as the page actually loads Used to be you could only weigh in on a person once per day, so any mayhem could be somewhat limited. So presumably someone could simply create a new fake account and just randomly downvote all day.

Yeah, I understand how it works. I was saying 50 different members.

Also, jbennet, do you not like sknake? I only ask because I have made more comments about the voting system than he has, but you have replied to my threads much differently than to his.

Not really, i just dont like moaners in general ;)

I guess, but without some degree of feedback, nothing can ever improve.

Member Avatar for diafol

I agree that it's getting to be a daft system. Some idiots using it to upset other people. If it's not worth moaning about - if it's not that important - if it's just eye candy - pull the plug.

Down-voting for the sake of it is really sad. If the system is to have any use, an user can check a contributor's rating to see how reliable/popular (etc) their advice/opinions (etc) are. BTW - that would be a bit sad in itself! To my mind, if this is unworkable or unfeasible, pull the mod - it has absolutely no value.

I agree that it's getting to be a daft system. Some idiots using it to upset other people. If it's not worth moaning about - if it's not that important - if it's just eye candy - pull the plug.

Down-voting for the sake of it is really sad. If the system is to have any use, an user can check a contributor's rating to see how reliable/popular (etc) their advice/opinions (etc) are. BTW - that would be a bit sad in itself! To my mind, if this is unworkable or unfeasible, pull the mod - it has absolutely no value.

Maybe I misunderstand. But if I was a new member and I didn't know who knew what they were talking about and who didn't, being able to check the user votes percentage might be a pretty useful metric. According to Dani she was trying to create something so people know what thread to click on, but really, it seems to be displayed on the profile as if it was the same thing as 'reputation'. e.g. Rashakil has a pretty horrible vote percentage, but he is very helpful when it comes to many topics. The way it is displayed is misleading.

ardav, it seems to me there are only a couple of people complaining about it. The majority haven't said one way or the other, so you really can't assume to know their feelings on it based upon one or two vocal opponents.

Member Avatar for diafol

ardav, it seems to me there are only a couple of people complaining about it. The majority haven't said one way or the other, so you really can't assume to know their feelings on it based upon one or two vocal opponents.

Who the hell shook your cage? I never claimed to know what other people were thinking. I stated my own opinion. I'm not moaning, just stating that if there is no real use for it, take it off. Simple. Or perhaps that was too simple? Or, perhaps I need a shiny 'moderator' badge to be able to voice an opinion.

Thought this was a feedback forum. If moderators/admins don't like honest feedback, why not have a "Daniweb Community Feedback" for arse-lickers only.

Get riled up easily much?

This isn't me in "shook my cage" mode. You were suggesting that if the system has no value at all, it should be scrapped. I merely pointed out that only a few have voiced a negative view on it and that hardly constitutes a referendum on its uselessness. "Too simple?", yeah I would say so. Too simple to even consider the opinions of the majority don't necessarily equal the opinions of a couple of dissenters.

So there's some more honest feedback for you. Moderators can have opinions too. I'm not really concerned about who is licking what.

Member Avatar for diafol
Get riled up easily much?

Not as a rule.
To clarify: I was agreeing with a previous post that the system doesn't seem to be working as it should due to its abuse by a number of people, including moderators, if I remember correctly. The rest of my post was full of IFs - that is, if a set of conditions are true, then there is no value in the system and it should be scrapped. As you say, the silent majority haven't contributed to this discussion. It may be they don't give a toss. Who knows? Your right, nobody can pretend to "know their feelings". However, from my own experience on other sites, users very rarely fill in feedback forms or enter forums such as these.

Anyway, I'm not gonna continue this. Back to the real world, where opinions do actually matter. Some people get a kick out of starting arguments, I'll just tell the wife her ars* looks fat in that tent of a dress of hers.

> Thought this was a feedback forum. If moderators/admins don't like
> honest feedback, why not have a "Daniweb Community Feedback" for
> ****-lickers only.

Keep things on topic; there is absolutely no need to throw around verbal filth and make irrelevant generalizations about mods and admins.

Member Avatar for diafol

> Thought this was a feedback forum. If moderators/admins don't like
> honest feedback, why not have a "Daniweb Community Feedback" for
> ****-lickers only.

Keep things on topic; there is absolutely no need to throw around verbal filth and make irrelevant generalizations about mods and admins.

Verbal filth?? Irrelevant?? Judging by the down votes, I seem to have struck a nerve. Right to reply revoked and I promise to be a good little boy. Ho-hum. Over and out.

commented: Don't be mean jephthah! :) +0
commented: you haven't struck any nerves. you've just revealed yourself to be a little turd. +0

The down votes simply mean people do not agree with either your opinion on the matter, or perhaps more likely the way you have expressed. They certainly do not mean you do not have a right to reply, nor should they be seen as discouragement to reply.

Like any conversation there will be times when people agree with you and times when they don't, simple as that surely?

I agree that it probably isnt the 'first' abuser of the downvote system. But i didnt see a moan in there...just an observation. I've given up looking at the downvotes, if i see a post thats noteworthy i give rep. As nice as the system could be, until it is widely adopted and properly used it really doesnt serve much purpose.

NOTE: This is also an observation, and not a moan :)

Member Avatar for diafol

The down votes simply mean people do not agree with either your opinion on the matter, or perhaps more likely the way you have expressed. They certainly do not mean you do not have a right to reply, nor should they be seen as discouragement to reply.

Like any conversation there will be times when people agree with you and times when they don't, simple as that surely?

Thank you HG. That was the crux of my original reply. However, I was accused of 'speaking for others'. This was not certainly not the case and I was a bit peeved that this was suggested by a mod of all people, who surely, have the responsibility of ensuring fairness in their responses. I certainly agree with Ez that mods have a right to an opinion as I am an admin / mod on other sites. The fact that I have received down votes on previous posts doesn't bother me in the slightest, rather it highlights the dubious reasons for clicking the little grey buttons.

In addition, of course I won't be discouraged from posting, as this post proves.

I am not a fan of the system as mentioned, and have gone from out-and-out against to 'okay, it's not so bad' to 'I can't see the point'. However, it would be interesting if a smiley could be put next to the user's details to show how positive or negative they are with regard to the votes they dish out. Perhaps that would show how much of an idiot a serial downvoter is (sorry, poor grammar - couldn't think of a better way to put it).

Well that would unfairly penalise mods considering that 99% of my time is spent downvoting spammers or idots who are like

mi computer no work lyk? please assist.

Member Avatar for diafol

Well that would unfairly penalise mods considering that 99% of my time is spent downvoting spammers or idots who are like

I would expect mods/admins to be exempt from such impositions, as they are pillars of the community who would use their voting abilities appropriately. Non-mods/non-admins (who act as if they are mods/admins), would be defrocked!

Infract them! Typing like that causes headaches and opens daniweb up to personal liability suits....

Well, something's sure happened to AD. [link] There's no way he deserved 6506 downvotes :P

You gotta be some kind of loser to go and downvote over 6500 posts from one of the best and well respected members in the community. Seeing Ancient Dragon's post quality at 34% is a joke. It's time for the up/down vote system to make its exit. It's always good to try something new, but you have to know to scrap it when its not working as intended. William's observation proves that this system is dead and cannot work as long as immature people are members of the community.

commented: yup +0
commented: Well said +0

Well, the exact same thing happened with normal rep before (cough rashkil, cough). Its a bot targeting me, ad and happygeek. Its under staff discussion.

commented: Sam has way too much time on his hands. I hope he finds a gf soon. +0

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread226920-4.html
Dude, I'm the Nostradamus of DW. Woot! But seriously, someones actually doing that sort of jack?

Is it random zombies, proxies, wardriving and going through local open networks? Any particular patterns in these in these bots?
Depending on what you know, you can create some arbitrary deterrents and timeouts; till, you solve this, anyway.

this is not a random bot or whatnot. someone is purposely targeting these people. i think it's obvious that they are doing so in order to highlight the absurdity of the arbitrary and anonymous voting system.

any skript kiddie can write a couple dozen lines of perl code to parse thru "user x" post history and downvote every single post. i could do it if i cared to. i don't do it because it's not my thing.

the point here, is that the whole up/down voting system -- as it is architected -- is broken at the most fundamental level.

to have any generic user be able to arbitrarily and anonymously alter another members permanent record -- even if "it doesn't really mean anything" -- is just asking for trouble. it's putting a big sign up inviting everyone to try and exploit the system.

commented: Well said +0
commented: You appear to be right +0
commented: agreed +0
commented: Agree. Broken at the most fundamental level. +0

Well, the exact same thing happened with normal rep before (cough rashkil, cough). Its a bot targeting me, ad and happygeek. Its under staff discussion.

Well you better do something about it. It wouldn't be fair to stop me after 3 hours, when it was funny, but let these doodooheads go on for weeks and weeks.

commented: I still don't like you .. but this is too funny. +1 +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.