OK whats with the rotating Ads in the middle the of post Que & even if you mark forum read they show as unread and a different one pops up. I look at that as uncool as I scroll the Que by read/unread color dot. these things are total redirects auto opening new tab without my permission. Browser Hijack?? Who likes/dislikes/don't care. Later---

Recommended Answers

All 21 Replies

They have existed for the past two years?? Even in the old design.

If You say so. I have never seen them in the middle of the Thread Que in all forums, at the top yes but not all thru the Que this first time I have been redirected by a thread Icon in the middle of page. My browser is Firefox 3.6.3 also they don't react to Mark as Read at bottom of page.Annoying My-OP. Later---

> at the top yes but not all thru the Que
They always appear right below the list of sticky "read me" threads (or at the very top if there are no sticky threads in the forum) and again at the very bottom of the listing. You shouldn't find them mixed in the timeline.

Maybe Momentary up goof but the one that annoyed me was in the middle of page and not noticing any ID but purple(bleh child hood thing will tell about someday)unread Icon & got redirected,but in past all Icons on page would change color when Marked as read. OK over my snit just startled that's all. You can close this if You want to Your call it won't bother me.say the word I'll mark it You block it Have a Good'n.Later---

No worries at all. Please take a screenshot the next time you see the ad in the middle of the listing. It shouldn't be that way.

Understood will do, will leave this open for few days so anyone else catching it before I do can post shot. well 0043hrs here work for $ at 0800hrs so I'm done for day You have a Good'n. Later---

>>They always appear right below the list of sticky "read me" threads (or at the very top if there are no sticky threads in the forum) and again at the very bottom of the listing

I've never seen them until today. Later--

You people are crazy :-P Seriously, we've had this ad spot for years, and we have a handful of different advertisers currently in the spot, none who signed contracts within the past 48 hours. The spot has even existed in the old design and two designs ago!!

>>You people are crazy :-P

Excellent point. However: I'm sure I haven't seen it before. I use ff3.5 with ad-block, so it shows as an empty row with the word "ad" in a circle in front of it. I've never seen this thing before until today.

Ahhh! That makes sense. I did recently make a change to it where the little icon is generated right on the page as opposed to being dynamically generated through the ad server, so your ad blocker would have stripped it away.

However, I encourage everyone who has the ability to do so to use DaniWeb's built-in ad removal system as opposed to just relying on ad blockers. Please :)

>>However, I encourage everyone who has the ability to do so to use DaniWeb's built-in ad removal system as opposed to just relying on ad blockers

I know, I know. It's just that there's something called "the rest of the internet" which I also use quite a lot and the Daniweb built-in ad removal system apperantly doesn't work for it :)

That's why you should use both. :-P

Seriously, though, DaniWeb is negatively affected by you just using ad blockers alone. Most ad blockers simply hide the ads, but they don't stop them from being downloaded. Therefore, it counts as an ad display even though it doesn't have the ability to be clicked on, and this counts against the overall performance rate of the campaign. When you use DaniWeb's built-in mechanism, the ad server is never contacted. The added bonus is that things on the site are more streamlined, such as the right area of the first post in a thread going away and the problem that you noticed today.

Quote posted by cscgal>Ahhh! That makes sense. I did recently make a change to it where the little icon is generated right on the page as opposed to being dynamically generated through the ad server<
Uh Huh and you thought I was losing it told you that annoying little purple(bleh!)ball with AD in it was new,Tag you're it. Later---

That's why you should use both. :-P
When you use DaniWeb's built-in mechanism, the ad server is never contacted. The added bonus is that things on the site are more streamlined, such as the right area of the first post in a thread going away and the problem that you noticed today.

How does one use this? I see a section regarding disabling advertising in the Control Panel, but unlike the other settings, I see no mechanism to turn this option on or off, nor can I tell whether it is set on or off. I assume it's off because I still see advertising.

I see no selection available for ad option either. Later---

Only moderators or members who donate have the option.

OK, You have just answered why members use ad-block programs. Later---

Member Avatar for iamthwee

I don't care, it's a non issue for me.

Cheers

Agree. There never was a blank area for me either. Now there's a blank post with an AD icon, and that just started a couple days ago.

> Most ad blockers simply hide the ads, but they don't stop them from being downloaded

But Adblocker plus + NoScript don't work that way. Given that they are Firefox addons, they never request the blocked URL.

Member Avatar for diafol

Can't say I've noticed - you can turn off adverts if you sponsor DW.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.