I have several questions that have to do with the FAQ's & rules.
1.) Is there a way I can put down a link to helpful web sights in my control panel lieu of a code snippets?
2.) And/Or do they have to be a link in a post or a thread only with that link?
3.) How do I use these codes that are listed as part of my signature.
4.) Where are they suppose to be used at? (Meaning what forums are the appropriate to place these?
5.) Some of these codes are above me I have seen please use code tags in your posts. At the same time, below it says you can use up to 6 tags to this thread, using a space. I don't quite understand where I would wrap these code tags in a question such as this, nor do I understand how I could have used them in the past with my older threads or responding a post reply. 6) What are text tags and how do you use these? 7.) What are I CODE tags and how do I use these? 8.) Where are they placed? 9.) How would I organize my DaniWeb notices so I do not have to delete them or unsubscribe to them? My e-mail in-box. 10.) Finally how do I collapse and expand this?

Sorry, I tried to ask these questions before and I did receive answers from other members, somewhat. Since my questions seemed unclear, due to the fact that I wasn't sure if I was allowed to ask these type of question. Because is misinterpreted one of the rules, therefore, I was apprehensive to come straight out and ask them. I did ask one of your Team Colleagues where to ask these type of question, which is here. Sorry there are so many. But my e-mail in-box is full of DaniWebs and I'm close the maximum space allowed. I am trying to achieve to lessen the length of my posts and produce excellence eventually. Also to be able to post well written post. In order for me to be a real asset to this community, I want to have the capabilities to contribute in a proper manner. Remember for those whom are not familiar with me, this is the first forum I've ever been to and the only one I am a member of.

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate all whom have helped me at DaniWeb in answering some of my question. :)[code tags] I have seen please use code tags in your posts. At the same time, below it says you can use up to 6 tags to this thread, using a space. I don't quite understand where I would wrap these code tags in a question such as this, nor do I understand how I could have used them in the past with my older threads or responding a post reply.
6) What are text tags and how do you use these?
7.) What are I CODE tags and how do I use these?
8.) Where are they placed?
9.) How would I organize my DaniWeb notices so I do not have to delete them or unsubscribe to them? My e-mail in-box.
10.) Finally how do I collapse and expand this?

Sorry, I tried to ask these questions before and I did receive answers from other members, somewhat. Since my questions seemed unclear, due to the fact that I wasn't sure if I was allowed to ask these type of question. Because is misinterpreted one of the rules, therefore, I was apprehensive to come straight out and ask them. I did ask one of your Team Colleagues where to ask these type of question, which is here. Sorry there are so many. But my e-mail in-box is full of DaniWebs and I'm close the maximum space allowed.
I am trying to achieve to lessen the length of my posts and produce excellence eventually. Also to be able to post well written post. In order for me to be a real asset to this community, I want to have the capabilities to contribute in a proper manner. Remember for those whom are not familiar with me, this is the first forum I've ever been to and the only one I am a member of.

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate all whom have helped me at DaniWeb in answering some of my question. :)

Recommended Answers

All 21 Replies

I'm really sorry, but I simply do not understand what it is you are trying to ask about here?

Code Tags are used to properly format programming code when you need to post it, and nothing else.

Why you have all that in your signature is, to be honest, a mystery to me.

How do you collapse and expand what, exactly?

I'm really sorry, but I simply do not understand what it is you are trying to ask about here?
Code Tags are used to properly format programming code when you need to post it, and nothing else.

I'll use one example to explain my question. I was in C++ and was trying to answer the question. I could see the work was already attempted by this student. I could automatically see that there were three separate lines that were incorrect. In a nutshell these three lines, they voided out what they were tying to accomplish with that program. It was in syntax [code]. [code=syntax] They said could not assign a variable that is constant.
(i=0; i,4;i++) I was trying to give the hint to look at these lines again, pointing out the program lines that voided the program to run as it ought to. Then I was going to proceed on to ask, how many variables do you need in that constant?. And if any at all, since assignments may vary with the instructions and the teacher. Etc.

When I tried to wrap them in the syntax (code) my sentences looked ridiculous, when trying to explain where to look first, then a question, then proceed. Do you understand why I am asking this question?

After I was getting somewhat used to using the control panel, it said allow all of the codes that were previously listed on my signature. The ones I used to have said yes, with the exception of hot mail. When I went back only a few exist under the yes allowable under your signature. The reason why I was confused, is because I saw these same codes under the code snippets section partitioned very lightly. A double coding I suppose that's what took place. I am beginning to see what I'm suppose to see, and somewhat know where. It all depends on the proper forum, sub-forum, and what codes to use in that area. I'm just not used to codes already formatted for me, that's all, and wondering where the proper placement of these codes.
As for how to collapse and expand the post. It's similar, kind of, to push the post response button, I learned from Ancient Dragon. It was a matter of minutes, I learned how to do the same with the post.

As for the rest of the questions, I'll ask a few at a time. I just needed more clarification, that's all. This will probably help others as well, which is our goal here. Thank you to everyone here at DaniWeb and to you happygeek whom have taken their precious time to answer my questions.:)

I'm not trying to double post but showing the differnce between expanding and collapsing my post. If it doesn't work, I'm just plain tired, sorry still learning.

I'll use one example to explain my question. I was in C++ and was trying to answer the question. I could see the work was already attempted by this student. I could automatically see that there were three separate lines that were incorrect. In a nutshell these three lines, they voided out what they were tying to accomplish with that program. It was in syntax [code]. [code=syntax] They said could not assign a variable that is constant.
(I=0; i,4;i++) I was trying to give the hint to look at these lines again, pointing out the program lines that voided the program to run as it ought to. Then I was going to proceed on to ask, how many variables do you need in that constant?. And if any at all, since assignments may vary with the instructions and the teacher. Etc.

When I tried to wrap them in the syntax (code) my sentences looked ridiculous, when trying to explain where to look first, then a question, then proceed. Do you understand why I am asking this question?

After I was getting somewhat used to using the control panel, it said allow all of the codes that were previously listed on my signature. The ones I used to have said yes, with the exception of hot mail. When I went back only a few exist under the yes allowable under your signature. The reason why I was confused, is because I saw these same codes under the code snippets section partitioned very lightly. A double coding I suppose that's what took place. I am beginning to see what I'm suppose to see, and somewhat know where. It all depends on the proper forum, sub-forum, and what codes to use in that area. I'm just not used to codes already formatted for me, that's all, and wondering where the proper placement of these codes.
As for how to collapse and expand the post. It's similar, kind of, to push the post response button, I learned from Ancient Dragon. It was a matter of minutes, I learned how to do the same with the post.

As for the rest of the questions, I'll ask a few at a time. I just needed more clarification, that's all. This will probably help others as well, which is our goal here. Thank you to everyone here at DaniWeb and to you happygeek whom have taken their precious time to answer my questions.:)

Just click where it says 'Click to Expand/Collapse' and the quote will, erm, expand or collapse :)

commented: Thank you. I'll keep practicing. I'll catch on eventually. I appreciate your help happygeek :) +0

To post quotes as automatically expanded hit "Post Reply" and go to where it says "[QUOTE=happygeek;1408366]".

Just click where it says 'Click to Expand/Collapse' and the quote will, erm, expand or collapse.

Now delete the ";1408366" (or whatever the post number is)

commented: Thank you jonsca for the specific instructions. I'll eventually catch on. I'm quick to attentiveness, but at times still lost here. :) +0

I guess I've been doing this the hard way. I have two windows side by side I followed your directions, then after I was finished, it said: "Your Post is too short, you must put more than one character in." I do not see anywhere where it actually says expand and collapse. In my upper right arrows it says increase size and decrease size. I end up having to erase happygeeks quote, cut copy paste it.

Which is reinserting his quote. happygeeks quote by hand, followed by the number. Have to end it in {/quote} The proper formatted way. Then turn around and do the same with my own quote. Lastly, at the end of the Quotes, I put my courser at the end of the quotes, then use the increase size and decrease size. I tried this with my post also. See the original post first one? But I had to copy and paste my post. erase my old one and paste it, then bring my courser to the bottom of my post. And do the same. I'll keep practicing, until I have this down. Where is the Expand/Collapse, I don't see it anywhere here. I wish you could see what I'm experiencing.:confused: I'll keep attempting this, but I end up with the same result. I must be missing something. I did both of yours correctly, but my own didn't work as my last one did. Oh well, I'll erm try latter.I don't think it will let me do three quotes right? Thank you for your help happygeek and jonsca:)

I took entire courses on code tags and forum posting :) I'm not an IT Pro, but I play one on TV.

noparse is just another tag that says, don't translate any of the tags that are in between the noparse tags, so you can type something like "please use [noparse][code] code tags [/code] [/noparse]" It's a handy trick.

You can't post something with just a quote. Let the system do the work for you, as you can always experiment and edit your post afterwards.

I figured noparse meant leave this part out. It hit me latter on, yesterday and said dua?, to myself. You are refreshing my memory, of what I've previously learned. You never really forget what's been ingrained for years in my mind. Maybe I need to take those same two courses. They did not exist in my day. But how do I expand/collapse my posts? I finally get the quotes. Thank you. Yes still see that increase/ decrease size.

As for the quotes...That wasn't my intention at all. I was trying to expand and collapse my post as I did in the first one here. It didn't work. I was practicing by following you and happygeeks instruction. I still can not see collapse and expand in my control pannels nor in this post. All I see is increase size and decrease size in the upper right corner. I have to go and I don't want to, but you know why. Thank you again. Any ways, thank you so much for making my day with laughter. I needed a good laugh to uplift my spirits. Thank you again jonsca:)

You should remove this from your sig as it does nothing: Allow Basic BB Code Allow Link BB Code
Slow and steady catches the worm :).

commented: Thank you crunchie for your advise, I appreciate your help. :) +0

You should remove this from your sig as it does nothing: Allow Basic BB Code Allow Link BB Code
Slow and steady catches the worm:)

I understand exactly what you are stating. Thank you for the advise. You know what's funny? They think I don't see the expand/collapse on the main page where the post are. I was speaking of after you push the post response button and it takes you to your control panel. This place, I do not see expand/collapse. I see increase/decrease size. I see now, it's just a matter of keeping track of the post number to collapse/expand post. As for the quotes, I keep track of each persons post number for their quote. I reviewed my post again to see exactly what I did to accomplish the objective. ***However, still missing how to allow my post to expand/collapse.**

Maybe I confused happygeek and Jonsca, because my quotes did collapse/expand as did my 1st post listed here. Thus the misinterpretation of what I was asking. I am not trying to insult any ones intellect, just an observation. It's amazing how just asking a simple question can be misinterpreted. Yes, I'm just beginning to learn posting and practicing the techniques. "Slow is Gold." "Fast=No Task." At least for me, until I acquire more tangible, productive-excellence in Post productivity.

Finally, here is my question ***My e-mail In-box is full of Dani-Webs, not the Dani-Web In-box. I'm almost at maximum capacity. Without deleting these Dani-Webs or unsubscribing to them; how do I keep them without going over the maximum capacity?*** I created a special folder for this, but have the same problem.

Thank you crunchie for bringing out the best that is within me.:)

Finally, here is my question ***My e-mail In-box is full of Dani-Webs, not the Dani-Web In-box. I'm almost at maximum capacity. Without deleting these Dani-Webs or unsubscribing to them; how do I keep them without going over the maximum capacity?*** I created a special folder for this, but have the same problem.

That totally depends on what email program you use. There's usually a way to save to a folder locally or export some messages as text.

I see now, it's just a matter of keeping track of the post number to collapse/expand post.

Removing the post number forces the quote to be expanded all of the time (for us curmudgeons that liked that as the default). Simply quoting the text translates it to the box that can expand or contract.

commented: Quotes I get it yea! Post, I don't yet, but your noparse trick worked! :) +0

If you mean your Private Message inbox here at DaniWeb, then scroll to the bottom of the Inbox page and there is an option to download all your messages as XML, CSV or text - after which you can delete them all and have an empty mailbox once more.

have an empty mailbox once more

Or sponsor for a larger message quota. :) (Where's my commission, Dani?)

I thought she meant her own personal email, Happy, but maybe not.

commented: yay! +0

Yep, sponsorship increases the capacity of your DaniWeb PM mailbox from 100 to 500 messages - so not to be sniffed at :)

I thought I'd mention the DaniWeb PM mailbox download solution just in case it was that she was talking about, although I suspect you are correct in thinking not...

Member Avatar for diafol

I realise why you are mods and I'm not. Gotta sort out this nosebleed...

commented: I am going to take your advise as well. Slow and steady. Too much on my brain overload. Sorry for the nosebleed.:) +0

I have hotmail and created a folder, but still counts the MB. I'll try to see if I can export these as text.

Removing the post number forces the quote to be expanded all of the time (for us curmudgeons that liked that as the default). Simply quoting the text translates it to the box that can expand or contract.

Do I need to put my name and reply number in order to expand/collape my post? or just [I]"[noparse]put down [QUOTE=Agapelove68;], or [QUOTE=Agaplove68;141430], or just use [QUOTE] [/QUOTE]THEN TYPE SOMETHING INBETWEEN THIS? Using the quotetags button or typing it out? [/NOPARSE] [I]" I will try and see what happens. Wow, this is arduous, now I know why you used the word curmudgeons. I'll keep practicing all day tommorrow and earlier.
Thank you so much jonsca for your expertise.:)

I have hotmail and created a folder,but still counts the MB. I'll try to see if I can export these as text.

Check the specs on your account because last time I checked Hotmail had ever growing storage (they only give you 50 megs or something, but once you fill that they expand it in increments up to 5 gigs as needed).

You seem to be intent on making a simple process as complex as possible.

In the message composition/reply box just type your response in plain text, with no code tags (including quote tags) attached and that's all that is required.

Your posting above is quite simply a mess. Why have you wrapped your own responses in quote tags for goodness sake?

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but my head is seriously starting to slowly melt...

commented: I'm sorry, I'm doing the best that I can. Trying to follow jonscas direction. :) +0
commented: Thought it was just me. Doin' well HG, I'd have lot patience by now. :) +0

Reason: not getting desired result. sorry I really tried.:)

You can always "view" what you have written by pressing the preview button. Given that you are learning, it would be worth it to *never* type out your responses in the "quick reply" editor (the small text area which you see at the bottom of every thread) and always use the "advanced editor" (Use Advanced Editor) button below the text area.

Pro tip: Don't try to take in all of it at once. Learn about one thing at a time. Thinking of too many things would have the end resulting of just confusing you, nothing else. Good luck. :-)

commented: You are absolutely right. This was confusing me and didn't let me edit before 30 min were up. Thank you for your encouragement! :) +0

Thank you ~S.O.S~ I appreciate your help. That's why. I am trying to take it as slow as possible. Crunchie said the same thing. I was just following the advise of jonsca with the posts. I accomplished the expand/collapse of my post here, but forgot how I did it. The quotes I finally get it. I just don't want to make anymore mistakes, or less mistakes when posting and trying to help someone.

I did donate by the way in November 5, 2010, but nothing has changed. Yet I haven't made a big deal about it, even though I paid over 3 months worth.:)

I want to thank all of you for your help. I'll be back tomorrow when I'm better rested. Harsh words hurt you know, especially since I admitted that I've never been to a forum and behind with the technologies. I'll be back tomorrow.

I still think the majority here at Dani-Web are awesome, helpful, and nice.:)

How did you make your donation? If I recall correctly you were asking some time back about sending a donation by post rather than paying online, is that correct? Anyway, I will ask Dani to check her records to see what has happened.

My apologies if my words sounded harsh, they just expressed my frustration at the difficulties you seem to be having despite the help that is being provided.

As I have said before, and will say again: slow down and let us tackle one problem at a time and things should become easier to resolve.

We are all trying to help you, including me! :)

I did donate by the way in November 5, 2010, but nothing has changed. Yet I haven't made a big deal about it, even though I paid over 3 months worth.

I want to thank all of you for your help. I'll be back tomorrow when I'm better rested. Harsh words hurt you know, especially since I admitted that I've never been to a forum and behind with the technologies. I'll be back tomorrow.

I still think the majority here at Dani-Web are awesome, helpful, and nice.:)

commented: Thank you happygeek. I'll send a PM. I'm sorry, I frustrated you. I appreciate your assistance.:) +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.