In the last few years, a number of new technologies have popped up, died, shifted, etc. DaniWeb here has kept up with the changes, and I am grateful.

There is a new technology though that has, to my surprise, actually taken off, and is making a name for itself. I speak of SilverLight from Microsoft. Doing a search here, I found over 400 topics using just the keyword "Silverlight". I think that it would be helpful to a lot of people, and this is solely my opinion, and not based in hard evidence, to have an area specific to SilverLight under Web Development. Potentially, it could go under Windows Software, Mac software, or ASP.NET, but if you read Microsoft's documentation for it, it could potentially go under PHP as well.

SilverLight is a powerful newcomer to the Web World, and I believe it will go far. I'd like to have an easy place to ask questions, post ideas, and get feedback on topics that isn't monitored or moderated by Microsoft employees. I don't have a high opinion of them...

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

SilverLight is coded with the .NET Framework, and we encourage programming related questions to be posted within our .NET Framework forum. We've been keeping an eye out, but for right now there is too much overlap here.

On the other hand, we also have a Graphics and Multimedia forum (http://www.daniweb.com/forums/forum28.html) which SilverLight currently shares with Adobe Flash.

We used to specifically have a Flash forum, but it was renamed to 'Multimedia' to accommodate Silverlight questions as well.

SilverLight is coded in .NET, but it's not the full framework, it's only a subset of it.
I do agree that it does fit under Multimedia, but it does have so much more it offers.
It does also fit under several other topics as well, which is why I made my suggestion.

> SilverLight is coded in .NET, but it's not the full framework, it's only a subset of it.
Right, but as a subset, if you post in the .NET Forum, just about everyone who frequents there should be able to help with a Silverlight question, right?

Yes and no, being that it is a subset, some functions and methods behave differently than there full version counter parts. For the most part though, they accomplish the same tasks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.