Over the few weeks, i realize that less member are joining daniweb each day. In the past it use to be a few hundred a day not it can be so devastating that only 48 members join daily. Is there other ways to help boost daniweb traffic besides linking your daniweb account to your blog. What happens if your blog is not very popular. After the Google Panda update, it seems like daniweb is not recovering. Or it is but at a slow scale?:?:

Besides frequenting daniweb more often and posting more. Is there other ways to help Dani boost daniweb popularity? I have been here for quite some time and feels like it is time i start to contribute to daniweb. Any idea would be appreciated?

Cheers:)
J

WaltP commented: 3 months is NOT "quite some time". It's barely a blip. +0

Recommended Answers

All 32 Replies

The main thing is to contribute good quality postings, ask interesting and relevant questions and answer threads where you know the answer. Aside from that, tell your friends/colleagues about DaniWeb and encourage them to do the same.

The main thing is to contribute good quality postings, ask interesting and relevant questions and answer threads where you know the answer. Aside from that, tell your friends/colleagues about DaniWeb and encourage them to do the same.

Did that but most of them are not technology savvy, they just ignore me and go home play their own games. Is there ways to tell other computer enthusiast or software developers about this great web site.

> The main thing is to contribute good quality postings, ask interesting and relevant questions and answer threads where you know the answer.
Perhaps you should just delete the entire http://www.daniweb.com/internet-marketing/25 tree, which seems to consist mostly of low quality link spam to dubious MLM marketers and other related scams.

commented: Agreed +0
commented: Yes! +0

Or perhaps it's metrics like this which make google think there are a lot of content-free threads.

Posting Games; Threads=162 Posts=56,143

I think it might help if we were allowed to post tutorials instead of linking to the ones on other sites. Posting tutorials seems to be an impossible task since there is no thread in which to post them. On PFO there are tutorial forums. They require mod approval but at least members know where and how to post them. There is no such mechanism here at DaniWeb.

The tutorial posting process currently remains as:

Post in most relevant forum
Clearly flag as a tutorial
PM the mods of that forum and/or myself
Tutorial gets peer reviewed as is
If of high enough quality then gets post type changed to tutorial

Apparently that doesn't work because I've never seen even one tutorial. I don't even see a link for tutorials

Tutorials? Plenty of them in the hardware and software forum, see them everyday:)
Maybe we should have a crackdown at the internet marketing forum today. Delete all sig spammer we see:D

But beside having tutorials, are there any ways to convey the message daniweb exists to software developers or IT enthusiasts. Like advertising it?

Tutorials? Plenty of them in the hardware and software forum, see them everyday:)

Oh really??? Where are they then? The only links to code snippets any more are from within the member's profile. But I don't want to search 50,000+ member's profiles just to find tutorials and/or code snippets.

Oh really??? Where are they then? The only links to code snippets any more are from within the member's profile. But I don't want to search 50,000+ member's profiles just to find tutorials and/or code snippets.

908,364 Members profiles :icon_wink:

>> Apparently that doesn't work because I've never seen even one tutorial. I don't even see a link for tutorials

Click on any category and if any tutorials exist for the category, there's a tab to click. For example there are 12 is software development. Click on the C or C++ categories and there are one each. C# has 1, Python has 5, Java has none so that tab won't exist, etc. Similarly, you can click on the categories and get the code snippets. C++ has 288. A lot to go through, but it's less than 50,000. Unfortunately they don't appear to be sortable by author, topic, popularity, feedback, etc., unless number of views is an indication.

Please tell me where to find the link

In your picture, under the "Click Here To Start A New Thread" purple option and above the top pinned thread titled "Starting C", there are seven tabs. The fourth from the left says "Tutorials". It's write next to the "Code Snippets" tab, which is to its immediate left.

commented: Thanks -- never noticed that +0
commented: Nice +0

Also
1. CTRL-F
2. Type "tutorials"

;)

Ok, so now I'm blind. My eyes completely missed those links.:sweat:

commented: You need another pair of eyes:) +0

I don't really have a contribution in regards to how to gain more quality members, but one thing that sprung to my mind as I read this was member retention. Behaviors and attitudes of some members which may be off-putting causing others to not really want to participate. There is still a problem of those folks who are out for a quick homework fix, and reminding them of the rules is important. However, there have been occasions where I have searched through threads for help with a concept and found belittling rather than encouragement.

That said, here's your grain of salt. (.)

What's belittling and what isn't and who deserves to be belittled and who deserves to be encouraged is all subjective, of course and there's more than a small element of dumb luck involved as far as who sees/responds to a thread. Some people are so patient that they'll never belittle anyone and certainly there are those who do it with little or no provocation. I can certainly name several members of both extremes on both the questioning and answering side, but won't. My guess is that if we all made lists, the lists would largely agree with each other.

The issue is WHO should be "retained", which goes to the issue of what kind of forum should this be and whether you want "quality" or "quantity". Perhaps you can have both, but it's rare. It's also a major question whether "retention" even applies because let's face it, the VAST majority of members here are not "members" in any sense of the word. They had ONE question, either had it answered to their satisfaction or not, and never had any plan of staying in either case. Odds are that most didn't even bother writing down any of their registration info. That's okay in my view and I've done it myself on many a forum, but such folks, since they aren't looking to become a "member" of any forum, cannot be retained.

Perhaps you should just delete the entire http://www.daniweb.com/internet-marketing/25 tree, which seems to consist mostly of low quality link spam to dubious MLM marketers and other related scams.

I'm working very hard on this section; trying to improve it.

It's currently optimized for the key phases "Thanks for sharing" and "Do SEO to get backlinks to ur site."

commented: Lol:) +0
commented: LOL +0

How about promote this great website on the social network, like Facebook, as you said, advertising it.Then Facebook FriendAdder Pro can do you great favor, because this program enables you to get quality targeted traffic.

Daniweb is already on Facebook, just search for it. Nevertheless from that side I would expect only another horde of lazy students to come and post homework requests for C/C++/Java/C#.
Daniweb is simply buffer place for start-up programmers (I'm excluding lazy students), unfortunately search for serious stuff will not land you here (more likely stackoverflow and other professional sites).

Maybe the threads in the Internet Marketing forum should be like News Story. Whenever you post, your signature will not be shown thus rendering spammers link useless.

Signatures don't show up unless you're logged in.

I have a way that may boost Daniweb Popularity but not sure whether it will work. Can daniweb create a magazine or newsletter some sort. The magazine will include new stories, product reviews, tutorials or code snippets and some other random stuff. We can then sell the magazine to the public, IT enthusiast will be intrested. If all goes smoothly, more people will start to join daniweb.

Have you ever tried to write tutorial, or lecture? Maybe perhaps presentation for your class? If you want to do it properly it does take time to write some decent tutorial. Code snippets are faster, but then they just small examples of code that we found "handy" and wanted to share with others.
We do have monthly newsletter, but that is only for internal purposes and for these that are interested. I regret, that Dani removed the link to newsletter archive and so far did not found it as a priority for adding it back, even though many of us asked for it.

Also, if personally you wish to slightly increase the population of Daniweb, simply "Share" Daniweb via Facebook, sharing it to every friend on Facebook.

Also, if personally you wish to slightly increase the population of Daniweb, simply "Share" Daniweb via Facebook, sharing it to every friend on Facebook.

Most of the people on profiles for any of us working developers have family and close friends. From these less then 10 if not 5% would be interested in programming and are most likely knowing that what forum we do frequent.
The other side of daniweb population are students having often 100+ of people because they add their class mates, from school to school, from year to year. Are we interested in adding more student traffic with load of homework stuff that is here year after year? I do not think so.
We are unlikely reach status of stackoverflow, but we should be more then student homework back yard. We may want to aim to attract junior people fresh from school getting trough first real life projects, trying to learn more about programming design, problem solving best coding practices, testing, security, maintenance and more.
Think more "out of box", your current school is not everything, there will be one day reality check with your professional carrier, do you want to say "hey I'm member of daniweb" and get reply "ahh that homework solution website... Are you proud of it?" (No harm mean Dani, but I believe we can do better)

....I'm not a student.. I left school many years ago.. Although your not wrong, most of my friends on Facebook are old classmates and friends whom wouldn't be interested in an IT Forum... Touché

> Signatures don't show up unless you're logged in.
You know that, I know that.

It's the drive-by idiots who sign up, create a profile, post 10 lines of pith in 10 randomly selected posts and then sod off who NEED TO KNOW IT AS WELL.

Is it mentioned anywhere in the signup - I didn't see anything.
A nice "If you were thinking of creating a profile containing sig-links, posting a few times and then leaving, then DON'T BOTHER joining. Spam is deleted and sig-links do not show up in search engines".

I seem to have reported about half a dozen of them just today (just today mind, I've no plan to keep going with this).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.