I was just wondering if anyone thinks that it might be a problem finding the New Thread button? Is it too small? Not noticable enough?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Sure it's not just that server problem, refer;

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread34801.html

Maybe you could stick it just above, and to the right of to "Threads in DaniWeb ............... Forum" There is plenty of room in a space where the soft grey allows higher contrast to the current yellow.

Maybe it's just New Year time, and people arn't posting as much as usual, my post count is down, and will surely pick up soon :)

Yes, it is hard to find. I can't see it anywhere on this thread's page. You need to have it clearly visible on every page. People probably usually find the site by visiting a search engine, reaching this forum, and not finding their answer. You need a New Topic button for these people. Clearly visible, at the top and bottom of the page.

Ever notice how sometimes people reply to old threads with new questions, that are slightly related? I noticed this happening on some threads which are search-engine prominent. (One is on the first page for 'time complexity' on Google.) These are people who came and couldn't find the new thread button.

How many do you think gave up after they couldn't find the new thread button, instead of giving up by replying to the current thread?

Advertisement: front page

It isn't as important for a New Thread link to appear on the thread pages as it is for a Register link to appear. For all the guests who enter the site from search engines directly to threads, they need to register before they can create a new thread anyways.

Regardless, I have taken your suggestions into consideration and made some changes and added some extra notices for guests. Log out and check it out!

I noticed that recently, when I cleared all my cookies, and it looks really nice now, having updated it to something more sympathetic with the forum style, (grey box, to white box).

Very clever idea to promote site statistics, especially the "In fact, .... users are online browsing and posting right now!". I like that :)

It isn't as important for a New Thread link to appear on the thread pages as it is for a Register link to appear. For all the guests who enter the site from search engines directly to threads, they need to register before they can create a new thread anyways.

No, people want to post a new thread. They're not thinking about registration. If they want to post a new thread, they're not going to be looking for a registration button. The user's goal is to get an answer, not join a community.

Regardless, I have taken your suggestions into consideration and made some changes and added some extra notices for guests. Log out and check it out!

All I saw was one suggestion in a tiny font. It was gray. Inside a rounded rectangle. My eyes skipped over it because it looked like an advertisement. I only saw it and the one at the bottom because you told me to look for them.

The amount of work it takes to create a new thread takes too many steps.

1. Figure out that there's no 'new thread' button, that you have to click the registration button.
2. Fill out username, password, email address.
3. Visit email account.
4. Open inbox.
5. Find the Daniweb message and open it.
6. Click the activation link.
7. Get redirected to some profile editing page. (What? Why?)
8. Find the appropriate forum for your question.
9. Find and click the new topic button.

Here's the way entering a post should be:

1. See the 'new topic' button and click it.
2. Enter a new username and type a password twice to create an account. Type the new post on the same screen. Optionally give an email address.

Then you're done. Optionally...
3. If you've given no email address, get asked if you'd like to provide one, just in case you forget you're password.

This interface might not be possible or easy with the forum software you are using, but it should be your target.

commented: sup +8

The easier it is, the more spam we would get, no?

I think the activation email is to stop "bots", who can be configured to do alot of damage.

Yes, not having the email activation used to cause a lot of problems. Not only did we get a LOT of first timers who just visited the site to spam, but should a potential legal problem arise, we won't have a valid email address to resolve the issue. Additionally, it screwed up the e-bulletin newsletters, subscriptions, and other email sent out by the forum system, because everyone would enter fake emails and the server would get flooded with bounced emails.

Besides, all of this is only for first time visitors making their first post. For the potential hundreds of other times that user will create a new thread, it is only a 3 step process: Find the correct forum, click the new thread button, fill out the form. The question then lies in whether this three step process is too complicated.

I suggested in another post a Request for help, or "Ask a question on the forum" dialog.

I think it would work well, not only making it easier for people to post in the right section, but providing standard information to people trying to help out.

How about a pop up dialog, with a series or pages,each with a question and a series of check boxes, then "next" to carry on.

For example, the first page would be roughly what the problem is about, for an example, they could select PC Problem. Then the next page select OS, for example Windows XP / 2000, then if the problem is Hardware, Software, OS based, email, peripherals, etc. The next page would allow the poster to add a description of the problem.

By there selections, the post could automatically be placed in the relevant forum / sub forum - solving any misplaced post issues, and also include extra information to help people solve there problem. By automatically showing the users Operating system, or maybe on a hardware problem showing there rig from there profile, or something similar for other areas of the forum, such as what web technology they are using.

The series of pop up dialogs would also allow you to provide the user with information, such as the final page would inform users, how to keep track of there post, by visiting the Control Panel.

I imagine that would take a lot of coding, but personally think that it would have real benefits. Also would be an edge over all other forums, for ease of use, a real draw for users to come back again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.