Hey, I was just wondering if you guys miss having article views? Is it an incentive to see how many views your article received? Or can you live without it?

vBulletin's view counter was always just a simple increment counter everytime a thread was fetched from the database. However, that meant that the counts were RIDICULOUSLY inflated from bots and that sort.

About a year or two ago, I wrote my own Javascript-based counter, which accurately counted just live humans. However, it was a bit redundant to have multiple JS-based counters loading on every page, since we already use Google Analytics.

Therefore, the goal with the new system was to play around with the Google Analytics API ... I figure, if we already have Google using their resources to accurately count pageviews, why not take advantage. However, I'm browsing the API now and it seems kinda daunting (never played with it before) and I'm wondering if it's necessary.

Do you guys miss having views? Is it something I should definitely carve out time to get working again or is it not missed?

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Do you guys miss having views?

No. I can live quite nicely without them.

For general forum purposes, I fail to see how views when applied to requests for help etc are of any practical use. Does it matter if 1000 people have read the question if nobody has answered it? Likewise, does it matter if only one person has read it if that person has answered it accurately and to the satisfaction of the OP?

Actually, yeah, it probably matters in at least one case. If there were 1000 views with no responses, the OP will probably get upset that no one cares about him. Therefore, the number of views could make someone feel bad. Hence, number of views should be left in the bit bucket.

By the way, while I was typing the above, the cursor was 6 characters before the character being typed. IOW, after typing bucket. the cursor was on the b, not after the period. FYI.

I've noticed the cursor placing being off during editing as well Walt.

There is another thread here about the cursor problem.

The only use I see for the view count is when writing "articles" (not in the Daniweb sense) as opposed to asking questions. I was happy to see a large view counts on the couple of C++ tutorials I wrote, and I would assume it would be the same with a demonstrative code-snippet (one that demonstrates a concept or technique). When you take time to write those it is nice to see view-count feedback because only votes don't take into account the "visitors" that come and read the article but don't sign in (or register) to vote.

However, this is a minor point, I don't see much use for view counts for general threads (i.e., questions). There might be some purpose for a more general concept of a "quality value" for a given thread, something like a mash-up of the number of posts and number of up-votes/down-votes (e.g., high ratio of up-votes per post == interesting thread to visit), it might even be incorporated into searches (and related articles).

Actually I was ready to ask after the count, just checked these recent threads. It is kind of dounting when writing code snippets to demonstarate things and finalizing them reasonably well, my only feed back have been occational kudos from Gribouillis. And I in my turn have commented his more advanced stuff.

If it would be possible to count double clicks to code snippets indicating somebody actually trying out the code, it would be nice.

If it would be possible to count double clicks to code snippets indicating somebody actually trying out the code, it would be nice.

Technically possible? Yes.
Practical? No.
An accurate measurement? No.

I don't recall that we ever had a view counter. Of course, that could just be me.

I don't recall that we ever had a view counter. Of course, that could just be me.

There used to be a little set of bars at the end of the thread titles on the forum pages. You know the kind of bars like you would have indicating the strength of a wireless network. And if you hovered above it, the actual view count would show up.

Member Avatar for diafol

Sorry, bit late chiming in here. Always thought the view count was pointless. A bit of frippery. Anyway, caught at a loose end Dani? Must find more bugs to keep you busy. :)

Oh yeah. The bars. I guess I never paid them much attention because I didn't notice them not being there any more.

Dani, the loss of the view numbers is of no concern to me. How can you differentiate between genuine interest/learning/satisfaction and a passing glance/unfulfillment without some sort of time-spent measure? And how could that be meaningful in itself? Leave it be.
Watching a solved thread continue to accrete posts is a better measure of usefulness, and we have that.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.