Why does daniweb.com allow bullying on there forums? I came here for help and now I have a bully called lastmitch. He has been sending messages for me to do stuff that I don't want to do. He has also threatened me too.

Recommended Answers

All 28 Replies

If you are being bullied or notice anything that is against the Terms and Conditions on the Daniweb forum, then there are adequate facilities to report it to a team of moderators and admins.

Admittedly with 951 down voted posts, it appears he/she is doing something wrong but creating a random thread isn't the way to do it.

Admittedly with 951 down voted posts, it appears he/she is doing something wrong

Note that the vast majority of those votes were made by a single person. When looking at votes, also look at the unique voters. If the number of votes is high and the number of voters is low, that means a small number of accounts were used to make the votes.

Note that the vast majority of those votes were made by a single person. When looking at votes, also look at the unique voters. If the number of votes is high and the number of voters is low, that means a small number of accounts were used to make the votes.

Ah right, thanks for the advice.

If you have been threatened or abused then please post links to the threatening/abusive posts or use the "Flag Bad Post" tool to initiate a follow-up.

Too late, the OP is banned now...

Member Avatar for LastMitch

He has been sending messages for me to do stuff that I don't want to do. He has also threatened me too.

First of all, I never PM him at all.

Second of all, I never threatened him.

Third of all, I only downvoted him 1 time.

The consequence of that 1 downvote cause this person to downvote me 930 times for what?

For not writing a small code?

What give him or anyone the right to abuse a system like this.

If you have been threatened or abused then please post links to the threatening/abusive posts or use the "Flag Bad Post" tool to initiate a follow-up.

It all started from here:

http://www.daniweb.com/web-development/php/threads/441623/php-mysql-update-picklist-amount-in-theory-i-have-no-clue

Then it got out of hand:

http://www.daniweb.com/community-center/threads/441801/why-is-lastmitch-such-a-d-bag-when-it-comes-to-helping

and on this thread too.

As you notice xbat is Banned.

I'm not a good mood after seeing something like this happend..

I just want to Thanks deceptikon for being very patience and also trying to find a solution for all of this messed and also help me to resolve this issue as you can see this got really out of hand.

Kudos to deceptikon for being professional!

commented: Reps for being understanding. :) +0
commented: You have my sympathies LM. +0

The consequence of that 1 downvote cause this person to downvote me 930 times for what?

I thought there was a limit for the maximum times a member can up/down vote another member in the same day? Were all those downvotes on the same day?

I thought there was a limit for the maximum times a member can up/down vote another member in the same day?

That's a negatory. But after this I'm inclined to look into adding flood control to voting.

Were all those downvotes on the same day?

About 200 were yesterday and the rest were today.

Dani applied voting flooding control a couple years ago when DaniWeb was under vBulletin because another member did something similar. Maybe you need to implement it here.

Please revert all the downvotes lastmitch recieved from xbat. Otherwise people can get the wrong idea, like in the second post on this thread.

As I understand it, I could go and upvote all of the posts that were downvoted by xbat but that wouldn't undo the damage. The posts would have a net balance of zero, but the down votes would still affect his posting quality rating. The only one who can actually make the down votes go away is the OP who can no longer do that by virtue of being banned. And as was discussed on another thread, directly modifying the database to undo the damage could cause other problems with the database.

@deceptikon, the rep you gave LastMitch didn't count I believe because we are in a non-technical forum category.

Based on Reverend Jim's remark, couldn't someone just log in with that account and just up vote all of the down votes? This would not require a manual, direct change of any database tables.

This is absurd, xbat is banned (that is good) but LastMitch losing his points still makes no sense to me. JorgeM is right, why not up vote the down votes???

We're still working on this "behind the scenes"

@deceptikon, the rep you gave LastMitch didn't count I believe because we are in a non-technical forum category.

Community Center, where the discussions can be anything and points don't matter. ;) Yes, I'm aware that reputation points weren't applied, but that doesn't make the rep worthless.

Forums. Road rage and drive-by shootings. The aggression is not naked, it's more that the aggressor is cloaked. How little it can take to provoke.
Luv it.

I have spent some time today upvoting posts by LastMitch and his post score has now gone from 35% to 63%.

I suggest anyone who feels strongly about all of this does the same. Between us we should be able to push it up a bit further.

I suggest anyone who feels strongly about all of this does the same. Between us we should be able to push it up a bit further.

Aye Aye geek......

Well! I did upvote+Rep points for 5 pages worth of Posts(From his profile).......
But unlike you, it just made a difference of 1%...... So all of the greats of DAniweb will have to do this job....... (No offence please, I am just helping).....

If anything, I think this ordeal will just show Last Mitch how the entire community rallys together to help him.

I was counter voting xbat's down votes in the first thread when the whole thing happened, but that was before he went off the deep end and down voted 300 times. I just went through and up voted a few pages of his posts, I don't have much rep power so it doesn't make a huge difference but he's up to 66% now

I don't have much rep power so it doesn't make a huge difference

He didn't have any either, so your vots more than counteract his.

Wouldnt it be more effective is someone logged in with xbat's account and remove the downvotes? I think that this will have a better result.

[Edit] While all of this upvoting is very nice, in the grand scheme of things, it isnt going to make a lot of sense for a future member or someone that is not aware of this fiasco on why many of LastMitch's posts are voted so high. It can also skew something in the future that you implement that is based on votes that you may not consider today.

I still think the best approach is to use xbat's account to remove what that idiot did, although i have no idea on how the system on this site works...just seems reasonable.

commented: I'm guessing that for some reason this isn't a viable option +0

Unfortunately that's not possible, Jorge :(

oh, well...i would have volunteered if it was possible.

Member Avatar for LastMitch

Hi

I appreciate everyone concern about this issue. I be honest with you I didn't know how I would deal this kind of issue to begin with. I didn't expect this. It's alot of upvotes. I'm surprise. I also recieve over 156 emails from Daniweb just today. The most I ever receive is 16 at a time. Those emails are usually let me know which thread I post.

Thanks Davey for your kindness. I also want to Thanks everyone too.

I hope Dani & deceptikon can figure out how to put a cap on votes. AD mention about a cap before. The amount of votes over a whole day is freaking me out. I really don't want other Daniweb members to be in my position. By putting a cap it will prevent this from happening again.

Again, I appreciate everyone concern about this issue. Thanks.

I still think the best approach is to use xbat's account to remove what that idiot did, although i have no idea on how the system on this site works...just seems reasonable.

I have a feeling that in the future Daniweb will have an option of allowing the "owner" to "override" pretty much every user action action. That should take care of cases like this.

Unfortunately I am not sure that will be possible, mainly due to the potential for setting legal precedence with regards to privacy suits etc. It's a bit of a minefield legally, as I understand it, not to mention something of an ethical trampoline if we are asking members to sign up to one set of 'rules' which we then happily break ourselves, no matter how righteous the reason.

In my never humble opinion, the answer to this is the application of that voting cap that has been mentioned. Apply it as a 'max votes per hour' type system and it would have the effect of not only stopping someone from flooding so quickly as in the LastMitch case, but give The Powers That Be an opportunity to spot the spat and hopefully deal with it in such a way as to calm things down without the need for member banning and associated unpleasantness.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.