I think it odd that I can't post "kick-ass" (such as in kick-ass computer) when shit and damn are ok.

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

Interesting to know that, it does seem rather odd. I've personally never had the wrath of the profanity filter deployed upon me but it does seem strange.

Well, you can always use kick-a$$ and hope you don't get dinged for deliberate evasion of the filter.

The filtered words list can be a little funky. IIRC, the weirdness comes from Dani's analysis of words that are most likely to be used in an insulting manner towards another person.

Given that we already require members to be at least 13 years of age, I'd prefer no automatic censorship, but that's not my call. ;)

You could use 'damn kick-shit computer' instead :) Or how about going all British with kick-arse?

The word a$$ either means anus or donkey, so pick whichever you like: "anus-kicking computer" or "donkey-kicking computer". ;)

I would also vote against censorship, if it was a democratic decision.

commented: Ha! +0

Let's get cultural!

The word a$$ either means anus or donkey,

That may be true, but a "kick-A##" means "very good" or "excellent", but just a little more colorful expression.

Dani's analysis of words that are most likely to be used in an insulting manner

The rule-of-thum was at one time whatever is allowed on daytime TV is ok on DaniWeb, I see that language was removed from the official Rules. I agree with most words in the filter list, but a-s-s?? Yes, I could call someone an a-s-s-hole, but I could just as easily call him a shithead and get away with it.

The reason for starting this thread is to ask Dani to remove the word a** from the list of banned words.

I vote to remove it from the list. If it were a democracy. And I got a vote.

Given that we already require members to be at least 13 years of age

Why should censorship be that important for users under 13? They begin to start cursing at each other in elementary... But, we do it so I say we should filter some words... just not the one AD mentioned...

I think that is the legal limit to join forums without parent/guardian approval. Even at my age I won't tolerate some curse words posted in forums. If they are allowed then I'll leave and not come back. The same with stand-up comedians. People should be able to write a coherent sentence without resorting to foul language.

Member Avatar for LastMitch

I think that is the legal limit to join forums without parent/guardian approval.

So you feel strongly about this issue.

How can anyone proof someone's age? Unless you provide a driver licenses. Which is very sensitive already.

I think Daniweb already censor bunch of words because I type almost all those american/english slangs and it doesn't appear.

How can anyone proof someone's age?

They can't. Just have to take the person's word for it. (I suspect adult-only sites do a lot more for obvious reasons.) I know that's reaching a lot, but there isn't much more that they can do. If the mods ever find out that the member is under age they can ban him until he becomes 13. I've seen a couple people admit how old (or young) they are.

I admitted i was 13 when I joined Daniweb... I even told Dani I was 13 when I joined... also I stated I am a High School Freshman, so I think I would pass the background age check...

Member Avatar for LastMitch

@AD

I know that's reaching a lot, but there isn't much more that they can do. If the mods ever find out that the member is under age they can ban him until he becomes 13.

How? I don't know what to say.

You are very protective for the kids. I understand your point of view.

The only kid that I been speaking with on Daniweb is this kid <MICHAEL>.

@<MICHAEL>

I admitted i was 13 when I joined Daniweb... I even told Dani I was 13 when I joined... also I stated I am a High School Freshman, so I think I would pass the background age check...

A Freshman in Highschool.

That's not even close to a background check.

Background check cost money.

The issue with you is that you tend to say things without thinking through.

There were a few occassions you said something far left that I was really upset but I had to remind myself you still a kid as you notice I remind you what you said and you understood and from then you'll double-check/proof-read what you wrote before you post a comment.

That will save alot of headache for alot of members.

commented: I was using a background check as an example... +0

Why should censorship be that important for users under 13? They begin to start cursing at each other in elementary...

Such a cynical perspective...

People should be able to write a coherent sentence without resorting to foul language.

The problem is that "foul language" is a moving target depending on who you ask. Case in point, you think ass isn't foul while others most certainly would.

How can anyone proof someone's age?

We obviously can't stop people from lying about their age, but not having the age confirmation leaves us legally vulnerable. I've personally banned more than a few people for N years until they reach 13 because they accidentally let their real age slip.

Case in point, you think ### isn't foul while others most certainly would.

I agree, but historically DaniWeb had allowed language that is also allowed on daytime US TV shows by the big four major brodcasters, NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox and as regulated by US feds. Anyone who considers the word ass as foul language would probably not use the computer very often.

Am I the only one having a problem following this thread? My X-Ray vision has gone bad, so I can't tell whether you guys are actually writing bad words that are getting filtered or just ####. I've seen bad-word filters where only a couple of the letters are blocked out but there is enough left to actually decipher the word. It does seem odd that sh*t is OK. Not only is it OK, but it apparently makes things go italic.

Case in point, you think ### isn't foul while others most certainly would.

Have to disagree with you guys here. ### isn't foul at all. You want foul, I'll give you foul: #####

It does seem odd that sh*t is OK. Not only is it OK, but it apparently makes things go italic.

It goes italic because of Daniweb's version of BB (Bulletin Board) Code, to use the asterix is a shorthand way of making text italic, such as a double asterix is bold. If you type a second asterix without escaping the first then you shall see it change in the actual post.

Take the following examples.

*Testing* results in Testing
**Testing** results in Testing
*Testing\* results in *Testing*

I agree, but historically DaniWeb had allowed language that is also allowed on daytime US TV shows by the big four major brodcasters, NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox and as regulated by US feds. Anyone who considers the word ### as foul language would probably not use the computer very often.

Actually, historically our original official policy was to allow any language that was allowed on United States basic cable. :) That's more lenient than the big major broadcasters, for example, but still was more strict than, say, HBO.

The policy was repealed because it confused non-U.S. members who didn't necessarily have any concept of what North American-based tv stations did or didn't allow, therefore making that comparison useless.

Am I the only one having a problem following this thread?

Moderators have an easier time. We can click "Edit" and see the actual text typed instead of ####.

Member Avatar for diafol

Can we? I didn't know that. Well that was disappointing RJ, you just typed 4 hashes. I feel cheated.

commented: First thing I tried :) +0

I guess Dani thinks that we moderators are made of sterner stuff so we are allowed to see behind the curtain.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.