I was just wondering if it would be too hard to maybe limit the amount of ads on your site. I haven't been here long and don't know the admin's finicial situation but some of the ads can be really distracting (the ones between forum posts..). I think this site is really amazing in that it really aggregates all the tech "stuff" together well but I would like to see less ads.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

:surprised
Now, that's a new approach!

Hmm, I could SWEAR there's an option for turning them off somewhere around here...is it in the Control Panel mabe?

Thanks.

The majority of ads on here are google ads, which are relatively non-intrusive IMHO, compared to some sites which use horrible flash-based ads (I deliberately have a flash blocker for those, since uninstalling flash just meant i was prompted to reinstall flash every 5 minutes :mad: ). If you use Firefox, you'll notice that it has the built-in ability to block graphics from any sites you choose :)

It takes a huge amount of time and resources to run DaniWeb, and advertising is therefore unevitable. I try to make the ads as painless as possible. For example, I tried to run an IntelliTXT campaign in the past, but user responses were terrible, so I took it down after only 2 weeks. If I do get overwhelming negative reactions to an ad spot, I will definitely reconsider. Our current ad positions have worked well for the last two years, so .... :)

If I didn't pay attention to the number of ads here, I woud have sworn that there were 3 - 4 ads per page. (VERY low) In reality there are 24 (I think).

So much for the distraction.

24 ?! Where on earth do you come up with that figure ... unless you consider an AdSense box with multiple text links to be individual ad units?

Maybe you don't consider the ADSense box as an ADs, but nevertheless, those are ADs.
Charging the webspace for them or not they still are ADs. (in my opinion, to be precise)
I'm very (cough) ad-aware person. I know AD when (rater if) I see one.

Long story short (I hate when I have to do this):
My post was a compliment to your unintrusive AD arrangements and page design in general.
Not a criticism. (Neither is this)

No ... of course I consider AdSense ads. But a single ad box that might consist of four text links is counted as one ad. I was trying to figure out how you came up with 20-something ads per page.

But thank you!!

I stand corrected.

Acctually, I SIT corrected.:lol:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.