I was just thinking about all of the unsolved threads, the ones that actually are solved, and I was thinking, maybe @Dani could add a 'Please Mark as Solved' button that users could click to notify the owner of the thread that they should mark it as solved.
Obviously, this could be abused, but if we put specific limitations on it, lets say, only let the user click it once, or limit its use to Moderators only, then maybe we could all help clean up the "unsolved" threads.

Just an idea.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I was just thinking about all of the unsolved threads, the ones that actually are solved, and I was thinking, maybe @Dani could add a 'Please Mark as Solved' button that users could click to notify the owner of the thread that they should mark it as solved.
Obviously, this could be abused, but if we put specific limitations on it, lets say, only let the user click it once, or limit its use to Moderators only, then maybe we could all help clean up the "unsolved" threads.

Just an idea.

I think the majority of those who leave threads unanswered are people who came here for the sole purpose of asking that question. They have little to no ambition to partake in, or care about, this community or any of its nuances.

commented: Exactly why I think we should 'Invite' them back by asking them to Mark the Thread as Solved. +0

maybe @Dani could add a 'Please Mark as Solved' button that users could click to notify the owner of the thread that they should mark it as solved.

The chance of that notification reaching the thread starter doesn't justify adding that feature. As mentioned, the majority of threads are one-off where the one who started it never returns. If you feel a thread should be marked as solved, any moderator can do it. Just flag the first post to let us know.

However, note that to be solved doesn't mean the right answer was given, but that the creator of the thread clearly showed that his or her question was answered. That's one reason why moderators don't mark threads as solved all willy nilly just because we see the right answer in one of the replies.

Further, there's an argument in favor of not cleaning up unsolved threads, despite the feature being available. If the thread is solved, helpful people who have something to add may be less likely to respond. It's a tricky balance between notifying readers that the thread has an accepted answer and encouraging helpers to continue the discussion in a constructive manner.

I don't disagree with your feature suggestion, but I like to play devil's advocate. ;)

commented: Definitely some good points here. +0

I think it's really sad that this is actually a byproduct of the majority of threads being one-off wehre the OP never returns. I'm more interested in what we can do to rectify that problem in terms of getting them more interested in returning to not just mark the thread as solved, but to stick around. Then again, I guess returning to mark the thread as solved is a good first step, and it also goes a long way to make responders feel appreciated, which, in turn, makes them want to respond to more threads.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.