Member Avatar for diafol

Much better

You could always just zoom out for the longer posts. That would effectively shrink the text down, then reset the zoom for the rest. For me that's a simple CTRL-WHEELSCROLL.

Diafol, I used the Chrome Developer Tools to change the font to that of all the other posts, and it looked even more overwhelming IMHO.

Member Avatar for diafol

Good idea RJ - zoomed out to 50% and perfectly readable. Unfortunately got a laptop - no wheel! I'm really not sure about this Dani. I hate to be Negative Alan all the time, but this big font size is really making me vom. OK, I'll take some happy pills and watch Bambi, perhaps I'll change my mind.

Ctrl and +/- work just as well as the scroll wheel. Also, take some pepto bismol.

Member Avatar for diafol

Ctrl and +/- work just as well as the scroll wheel. Also, take some pepto bismol.

Heh heh. Will do. However, my point is the zoom out makes it comfortable reading.

It's always great that you're trying to improve "popularity" of this forum. But maybe there could be some kind of menu for this? A sort of checkbox that you can turn on and off for this size of text. Because, geez, I'm 18 years old and I severly dislike such a huge font. Not so long before, I thought I was 3 changes. The old original font, then it got slightly bigger (looked good, maybe even better), now as I look it's way too big (in my opinion).

@edit - Maybe something else to add, it's not the size that bothers me, it's the thickness of it.

Member Avatar for diafol

@edit - Maybe something else to add, it's not the size that bothers me, it's the thickness of it.

There's a really childish joke there - I was so tempted he he

commented: Not intended, but I see :D +0

Since there were suggested few solutions... here's mine :p

Use CJS or GreaseMonkey (TamperMonkey in Firefox) extension to embed a tiny javascript:

Target = document.getElementsByClassName("post-first")[0];
Target.className="margin-bottom clear";

It removes .post-first from the DOM and returns the standard styling for the first post. I find it really difficult to read all text in bold.

@Dany could you limit the new styling only to not logged users?

So what I can tell from RikTelner, is he liked the font best last week when everyone else hated it. And now he likes it worse when everyone else is saying that it's an improvement?

Member Avatar for diafol

Don't dis RT - it looks like you have a soul mate Dani. He he.

So what I can tell from RikTelner, is he liked the font best last week when everyone else hated it. And now he likes it worse when everyone else is saying that it's an improvement?

Either I can't type proper sentences or you can't understand. That's not what I meant. I saw I think 3 versions of it, the old one, then slightly bigger, then the current one (bigger than slightly bigger). The old one is gone, the current one is here, and the slighly bigger looked for be better than the old one but worse than the current one, is that clear enough? :)

Don't dis RT - it looks like you have a soul mate Dani. He he.

:D, screw you.

@edit -

And now he likes it worse when everyone else is saying that it's an improvement?

I don't understand the meaning of this sentence... "and now he likes it worse"... what?

I agree with diafol, you should just use the font used in editorials.

commented: Agreed. +0

There's not a big enough difference there to draw attention to it.

Member Avatar for diafol

I think the editorial view is absolutely lovely - you did a marvellous job on that Dani:

editorial.PNG

I particularly like the name/avatar above the piece. I really don't like it underneath - on a long piece you have to scroll right to the bottom to remind yourself who wrote it. I know it works both ways - especially if you have a memory like mine, but nonetheless, it feels more natural to have the author at the top.

But to my mind, the text is large enough without being difficult to read nor looking like a 6 year old chose it. The boldness of the current OP is really making it difficult to read as Rik mentioned. The size may be OK, but its too thick! I'm still itching to make a childish joke, heh heh.

I think the editorial view is absolutely lovely - you did a marvellous job on that Dani:

Flattery will get you nowhere :)

I particularly like the name/avatar above the piece. I really don't like it underneath

Same here. Unfortunately, an SEO firm that I've been working with insisted that it will make a huge difference, and I'm just desperate enough to give anything a shot.

Member Avatar for diafol

With regard to the SEO trick, does I'm assuming it depends on the order in html. So would it be possible to use CSS/JS to display it wherever? I read this article while trying to optimize a friend's site: http://www.stonetemple.com/articles/css-and-seo.shtml . I didn't end up using it (from 2011 anyhow), but anyway, getting sidetracked.

Flattery will get you nowhere :)

Heh heh, 'twas worth a try.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.