In some forums, reputation works (marginally). Here it really doesn't. I think you need to bump newbie rep a bit to get the ball rolling.

And I also think that giving rep in non-tech forums completely waters down the rep system. When done this way it really amounts to ass-kissing and voting for the best fart jokes (please pardon the expressions).

Sorry if this has been discussed before. Just starting a flame-bait thread...

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

Here it really doesn't.

I agree my control panel is a sea of grey buttons, Despite posting my ass off and being squeeky nice I'm ... an unknown quantity !!

In fact the newbie posters should have the most rep giving power as they're the ones we help the most, not the old hands back slapping each other....although I don't want to put anyone off either.

In fact the newbie posters should have the most rep giving power as they're the ones we help the most, not the old hands back slapping each other....although I don't want to put anyone off either.

how about people with less than 200 posts can give or remove rep? That would solve your old-hands-back-stabbing concerns.

Back slapping not stabbing.

Ah! it's like anything though, there's always the risk some 1 post moron will give you bad rep on the spare of the moment.

It is a difficult one, and something that Dani is best placed to comment upon to be honest.

She is still having PC trouble at the moment, so give her a bit of time and she will be along to join the debate.

Personally, it is something that, for once, I don't have an answer to :)

Alright, we'll give it a try. I will make it so that you need at least 5 posts before your reputation counts on others. It typically takes at least this number of posts to become familiar with the basics of DaniWeb, and this eliminates the people who would just be randomly clicking on all of the features to find out what the buttons do.

Cripes that was easy!

I guess Dani fixed her computer and it's made her go all warm and fuzzy
:cheesy:

Well, I gave up on my Alienware machine ... too many problems, and their customer care was very unhelpful. I've since ordered a Dell machine which I'm still waiting for.

I do still have my mac in the interim. However, I always do all of my business work on my windows machine, and all of my php development tools that I use I only have for windows, and so on and so forth. So for right now I'm just "getting by" with some light web surfing, since I've never used my mac for anything more than a personal, playing-around-with machine before.

Back slapping not stabbing.

what's the difference:mrgreen: :eek: :rolleyes:

Back slapping - hey my friend how ya doin' have some rep my man, for no reason what-so-ever :-)

Back stabbing - he he heh heh.. I like.. he heh...busted his rep ...he heh he ...like anonymously .. he he heh he heh (assume Beavis 'n' Buthead accent)

I will make it so that you need at least 5 posts

I was just rep'd by someone with 8 posts, but nothing happened. I take it you haven't changed it yet ?

Your reputation is currently 38, hollystyles. It's just that this number hasn't yet translated into another green square thingy for ya.

Yeah I know, but in control panel it's a grey dot not a green one and I was on 38 before.

But even if you got 5 post, your rep is 0 ? - or do you get I dunnow 1 point for starters when you reach 5 posts? - cos otherwise if you add to anybodys rep that'll be zip anyway. In which case we haven't really changed anything.

Gosh we're such a bunch of whingers are we not !!

Helping other ppl out just for gaining some reputation. Bad... really bad boys a all are. LOL

BTW what goes around comes around so dont worry just keep helping others and u will be green all over. (pun intended.. well atlest i thought it was a pun)

HOw about adding a system where the mods grant rep to the members based on how many competent responses they provide?

commented: He's prolific, we'll give him that! +2

Err.. isnt this what normally happens?

HOw about adding a system where the mods grant rep to the members based on how many competent responses they provide?

That is what happens... sometimes. Mods are busy people.

But when you make someones day with help, they give out rep the most. And as only the newbie poster really knows if he/she was helped or not I think that counts, and now thanks to Dani's changes I think we have the best set-up.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.