> I remember seasons, not well served by "4 years ago".
The current format uses a relative time for anywhere up to '4 weeks ago' and then switches to an absolute day (just leaving out the time, since it's assumed that if it happened that long ago, the day alone is specific enough). Therefore, you will never see '4 years ago'.

<OFF TOPIC RANT>

> BTW, that's my #1. Quit making site-wide retroactive changes to all posts.

Acknowledged, although, without rehashing old wounds, what bothers me about you saying this is that I tend to feel as if what you really mean is, "Quit making site-wide retroactive changes that I don't like, but do make them when I feel they are truly beneficial, such as extending the width of the code tags, providing syntax-colored code tags within the forums, providing a cross-browser compliant way to copy/paste code with line numbers, etc." Some people may love the fact that code tags now have line numbers and think it makes things so much easier. Other people may not like the fact that code tags they've posted in the past have now been altered to include line numbers that weren't previously there.

Moral of the story: other people may like changes you don't and not like the changes you like. For example, just about everything people mentioned in the "what is your favorite DaniWeb feature" thread is something that didn't exist when DaniWeb first came into being. Without making changes, we wouldn't have any of what peole like best about us. There's always going to be changes as we evolve and grow, and I certainly don't think that we would be anywhere close to where we are today if we stayed as the out-of-the-box perl-based forum we started out as. And for that reason, I have to acknowledge and respect your desire to keep the formatting of posts as intact as possible, but at the same time do what's best for the community as a whole, and not let this one request of yours hold us back from what I think might be some new great thing or keep us in a rut by not keeping up with the times.

Anyways, I digress. (My word of the day.)

P.S. You have to admit, you had it coming :)

</OFF TOPIC RANT>

Err ... I'm sorry, Dave. You really didn't have that coming. Sorry for not letting it go.

Dave's site looks good Dani :)

I might take a gander over there also!

Perhaps he got "Mike" and "Dave" mixed up... :D

<OFF TOPIC RANT>

> BTW, that's my #1. Quit making site-wide retroactive changes to all posts.

Acknowledged, although, without rehashing old wounds, what bothers me about you saying this is that I tend to feel as if what you really mean is
</OFF TOPIC RANT>

What I really mean is, what I post today I want to see tomorrow. Wasn't that in the old rules somewhere?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean?

What I've posted has been changed. Sometimes not only in formatting, but whether or not things are correct.

Why ask folks to write a tutorial or even a well-thought reply if you're going to come along later and remove the intent?

I have made a change to the time format where the 'x weeks ago' has now been eliminated. Therefore, you will always know, at the very least, the specific day a post was made.

Thanks. It makes a lot more sense now. (But hey, you can't please everyone!)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.