My resolution for the rounded corners dilemma was to go ahead and add an option into the USER CP that allows members to disable rounded corners, the navigation dropdown menu, or both.

Please use this option instead of disabling individual scripts via your web browsers as this ensures that nothing will accidentally be broken or result in JavaScript errors.

Recommended Answers

All 40 Replies

P.S. By disabling rounded corners, disabling the dropdown menu, disabling IntelliTXT, and (if you're a sponsor or mod) disabling graphical advertising, the entire site should be ridiculously speedy for you. And of course, you can also disable avatars in posts :)

Good God. That really made things demn fast. Didn't know that a webpage could load up that fast. Now a webpage loads up under 1 sec or so. Amazing.

Hopefully, in combination with the new latest threads in Subscribed Forums link in the sidebar, this will completely change how productive you are on DaniWeb.

Are you saying I am not productive enough?

commented: I don't believe I am doing this... ;-) ~s.o.s~ +18

According to the person with over 10,000 posts, no one here is :) j/k

Sheesh, I guess its time for me to start seriously participating in the Word Games... ;-)

commented: hehe. +7

A very thoughtful solution. It does help the pages to load faster.

Thank you very much,
Kevin

My resolution for the rounded corners dilemma was to go ahead and add an option into the USER CP that allows members to disable rounded corners, the navigation dropdown menu, or both.

While I appreciate all of the work you do, I need to put on my Narue hat to properly respond to this. Don't take it personally, I hold you in the highest respect.

This is a piss poor solution. Something doesn't work right, so you offer the option to disable it instead of actually finding and fixing the problem? :-/ Yea, I'd get laughed at if I tried that in any of my software. As a temporary fix and a nice option it's okie dokie, but as a permanent fix, I can honestly say that it sucks ass.

This message has been brought to you by Diet Rite Pure Zero with Splenda. No calories and it actually has flavor! We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

>And of course, you can also disable avatars in posts
Perish the thought. :-O

p.s. It is a great deal faster. Thanks! :)

commented: ha ha ha. I like the Diet Right Advert. +7

Necessary at times -- especially in C++ board where class scope :: operator will sometimes turn into a smiley face

Avatars or smilies? I could be confused (it happens easily).

Please use this option instead of disabling individual scripts via your web browsers as this ensures that nothing will accidentally be broken or result in JavaScript errors.

I don't see any difference. What rounded corners are you talking about? I turned them off and everything looked the same to me.

While I appreciate all of the work you do, I need to put on my Narue hat to properly respond to this. Don't take it personally, I hold you in the highest respect.

This is a piss poor solution. Something doesn't work right, so you offer the option to disable it instead of actually finding and fixing the problem? :-/ Yea, I'd get laughed at if I tried that in any of my software. As a temporary fix and a nice option it's okie dokie, but as a permanent fix, I can honestly say that it sucks ass.

This message has been brought to you by Diet Rite Pure Zero with Splenda. No calories and it actually has flavor! We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

After a lot of investigating, I determined that the best solution to handle rounded corners is, indeed, via JavaScript, in my particular case. However, I'm not sure at all why anyone is experiencing problems with it - I've tested it on multiple computers and mozilla bug reporter isn't finding any JS errors. I will continue to actively find a solution. However, in the interim, it is not satisfactory to have anyone unable to use the site.

So, in conclusion, yes, this is a temporary fix.

How about a selection to disable moving ads and ads with scripts?

Dani. most of the bugs i talked to you about have been fixed by upgrading to IE7. IE6 seems to hate daniweb.

Keeping to my promise, I've been working on making the rounded corners faster loading. I'd appreciate it if those with rounded corners on can let me know if they've noticed an improvement as of about an hour ago. Thanks!

they do seem to be faster today?

Is that a question or a statement?

they are faster but i dont know if its just me

Hey guys ...

I know there's now an option to disable rounded corners in your control panel, but I sitll want to work on solving the issue with them ... It's in your best interests, too, because guests still see rounded corners, and the better the experience it is for them, the more new members will join our community. So please ... feedback on them is greatly appreciated. Are they faster than they were a few days ago? Does the page load any faster than it did last month before the new style, even with rounded corners enabled? I can't do anything without feedback since I don't experience the rounded corner problem so many of you do.

OK People ... after noticing a significant decrease in the amount of time new visitors spend on the site since this new design, I've gone ahead and disabled rounded corners for everybody. Let's see if it makes a difference ...

Nevermind, I'm an idiot. I forgot to put the conversion tracking code on the registration page with the new style. :) No wonder no one registered!

Lol

Hey @ least ya figured it out Dani right??

:)

It's locking up until the ads load again today. And the adws are making it impossible to post at times by moving the post window off the screen while I am typing.

Question: Why do we need rounded corners?

Great now my spellchecker has gone because of those rounded corners. : - <

Question: Why do we need rounded corners?

We've had rounded corners for so long that it became almost like a trademark for us, especially because we're no longer "that purple computer forum".

Dani, any reasons why the spellchecker is bound to the rounded corners?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.