The linux and unix threads seem pretty dead. For the sake of centralization, why not combine all linux and unix questions into one category?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

>why not combine all linux and unix questions into one category?
Well, for one thing, I like to have shell scripting questions separated from Linux "help" questions. And having distro choice discussions separate from software installations is also a nice feature.

The only forum that really doesn't serve a purpose is the "Linux user's lounge". It's pointless because there's not enough Linux users to discuss something somewhat related to Linux, so it just seems to be another forum for getting technical support.

How about destroying the linux users lounge, renaming "getting started, and choosing a distro" to "newbie help" or "getting started", and merging everything else except shell scripting into "linux help" or something like that? "Kernels and Modules" has not had a post in thirteen days!

I propose:

Getting Started

System Configuration (installing codecs, building kernel, h/w drivers etc...)

Networking (lamp etc...)

Shell Scripting and Programming

"networking?" Networking has its own section under tech talk...

I think it would be better to have:

networking (windows)

-active directory
-nt domains
-file sharing
-IIS

etc....

Networking (Linux)

-NFS
-Samba
-Apache/MySQL/Php
-SSH and VNC etc...

It seems your only reasons for restructuring the Linux category is because it appears dead. Instead of restructuring something that has remained the same for three years, I'm simply going to make it my next focus in my promotion efforts.

Good idea!

what promotion efforts? please no more ads ;(

I think it would be better to have:

networking (windows)

-active directory
-nt domains
-file sharing
-IIS

etc....

Networking (Linux)

-NFS
-Samba
-Apache/MySQL/Php
-SSH and VNC etc...

We currently have a "Linux Web Hosting and Apache" and a "Windows Web Hosting and IIS" under the Networking category. I'll rename these to be inclusive of other protocols other than just http.

;) Good idea

(my hdd is making bad noises now eek :( )

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.