Within the last 2 months or so I started to use the Opera Browser, but sometime last week I wasn't able to post a reply anymore. I click the button to submit my relpy to a thread and nothing would happen. Also at school we use a restricted version of IE7 and most of the time the drop-down menus don't work. Javascript is enabled but I don't know what's wrong.
Any suggestions to fix these problems?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Regarding not being able to post with Opera, that's something I've never heard before. I would need to get more information ... for example, it never works? Are you sure you're logged in? Can you create a new thread but just not reply to an existing thread?

I'm not so sure I have an answer that could help you with the dropdown menus not working with a restricted version of IE. It could be a whole mess of things that would be near impossible to diagnose since you aren't privy to the specific rules the network administrator has set up.

For some reason I can create a thread with Opera but can't reply to anyone elses. This only started happening a week ago and I haven't made any changes at all. I am logged in and theres nothing wrong with the html of this site. Maybe its the browser, i don't know. Thank you for your time, I'm just going back to IE.

I can tell you why the dropdowns are not working at school. A firewall installed to protect school computers from malicious software is stopping scripts before they get to the computer.

Maybe Opera upgraded itself. In doing so, it may have added a script blocker, or a new set of security settings. Or you might have accidentally changed security settings while doing something else.

Another possibility is that your ISP made changes, such as installing a firewall.

commented: omfg.. add this to the long list of idiotic posts by midimagic -2
commented: Feeling retarded today? +0

I can tell you why the dropdowns are not working at school. A firewall installed to protect school computers from malicious software is stopping scripts before they get to the computer.

A firewall detecting and removing inline Javascript... that's a new one. Does your firewall also include image recognition technology so it can automatically censor adult content? :icon_rolleyes:

Maybe Opera upgraded itself. In doing so, it may have added a script blocker, or a new set of security settings.

I don't think the Opera developers are that retarded.

Don't be a fool, Javascript does not affect one's ability to post on DaniWeb. In fact, this post was made on Opera 9.24 with Javascript disabled. So your suggestions are useless.

Actually, the firewall we have where I teach stops IE and FF from doing scripts.

IE is certainly that retarded. Every time it upgrades, it changes my security settings back to standard. It always marks DaniWeb as an unknown site.

JavaScript is not needed to post, but to use the dropdown menus. I didn't say it did affect the ability to post.

But browser security settings can affect the ability to post.

the firewall is not blocking scripts. i know this because all of my own javascript on my sites work just fine. Opera won't update itself without notifying me. it has asked many times but i haven't done it yet. i already thought of this stuff. i wouldn't of posted otherwise.

Maybe you need to let Opera do the updates. There are security holes in older versions of browsers which sometimes cause certain sites to block upload access.

Some firewalls also block specific sites or hosts. This would be up to the administrator.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.