Hi all!

I'm new to the forum so I figured I would introduce myself properly before the wave of questions begin ;)

A bit about myself:
My real name is Alex, 20 year olds, as of this very day 6 months very happily together with my girlfriend (had an AWESOME weekend to celebrate it :)) and I'm a coder to be.

On the last note, I'm learning myself C++. I'm very into Linux (running Fedora) and love the cross-platform part of the language and also the power it offers

I have also tried Java, C#, Delphi, VB, VB.net and Pascal but..
Java: Not to my liking plus it's to slow for what I want
C#: Was to my liking but I didn't know enough of the basics, I intend to learn this AFTER C++
Delphi: First language i bought a book for, first OOP language to... but never got anywhere with it
VB: Does to many things not to my liking plus it's WAY to MS-based and closed source
VB.net: Same as VB but with the addition that it does even more things not to my liking!
Pascal: Learned some parts of this at the same time as Delphi, also never got anywhere with it

So in short, I will be basing my questions around C++ (console for the moment)

As a way of learning while playing I have decided to make a little RPG (would love to make something like Castle of the Winds) so as I learn C++ (from "C++ for dummies 5th Edition") I will implement everything I learn into that game!

Short little helper as to my level of skill... I just learned how to create functions and use them accordingly ;)

Welcome to any form of suggestion and good night (here anyway) to everyone who reads this :)

(P.S. I have done my very best to keep grammar and punctuation at a proper level, it's not my own language so forgive any errors I may have made ;) )

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Welcome to DaniWeb.

>> I have done my very best to keep grammar and punctuation at a proper level
In that case you have done a lot more than most of us. Don't worry too much about grammer, few, if any of us, are English majors in college. We don't expect perfection here because there are many members whose native language is not English.

Welcome to the place mate, hope you enjoy it.

Welcome aboard! Hope to see you around!

Hi Alex:
Thanks for the detailed intro.
Welcome, by the way!

Thanks all!

I know it isn't necessary to watch the grammar and all that but for once.. I'd like to make an effort for it and see if I can make a habit of doing it ;) (I'm also a bit of a smiley-slut.. that'll never change I'm afraid :D)

Well.. I'm off to reading more posts!

(I've come a long way since i've posted!! I've already made my first 9 argument function w000t :P I'm only still trying to get it into a window instead of a console.. any hints on what to read or is it for visual C++ only? Thanks in advance!)

Thanks all!

I know it isn't necessary to watch the grammar and all that but for once.. I'd like to make an effort for it and see if I can make a habit of doing it ;) (I'm also a bit of a smiley-slut.. that'll never change I'm afraid :D)

Well.. I'm off to reading more posts!

(I've come a long way since i've posted!! I've already made my first 9 argument function w000t :P I'm only still trying to get it into a window instead of a console.. any hints on what to read or is it for visual C++ only? Thanks in advance!)

Proofreading for grammar is good. Showing effort is the best way to get good help around here and taking the time to formulate your thoughts using proper spelling, punctuation, etc., is a good way to show that you have put effort into your post. It's hard to take someone seriously who constantly misspells everything and uses nothing but leet-speak and abbreviations. Ancient Dragon is correct that one can't be too much of a grammar stickler since there are plenty of non-native English speakers here, but you can still usually tell who is trying and who isn't. Those who try are going to get better help.

Regarding the console versus window/GUI, that isn't exclusive to Visual C++. If you are using Visual C++, when you create a new project, don't click "Console Application" if you want a window/GUI. Click "Windows Form" or something for the type of project. If you are learning C++ though, I'd start with the console applications. If you have questions on how to create a GUI or console, your best bet is the C++ forum.

Welcome to Daniweb!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.