JohnAllsup 0 Newbie Poster

Hi,

I remember starting in wonder at a BBC microcomputer that was the prize on a BBC Children's television programme called Beat The Teacher, which was questions and noughts-and-crosses. It was, I guess, a kind of love at first sight, the strange combination of typewriter and television, and I have spent the best part of the rest of my life developing a deep understanding of them.

My travels have taken me to the depths of mathematics (I did my PhD in models of arithmetic) from the very beginnings of maths, which for me was playing Snakes and Ladders with Mum.

I got a 2(ii) for my MSci maths degree when I really should have got a first, because I was spending my time on the internet learning about computer languages and operating systems, dreaming up the ultimate computer system. I still haven't finished dreaming, but I learned the hard way not to let dreams get (too far) in the way of the necessities.

I love all areas of Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, Tai Chi and am a great lover of Music, especially Computer Music and Woodenware acoustic instruments such as my Dad's wonderful Steinway piano and my Mum's lovely violin.

Anyway, enough of the gushing. I am a deep abstract thinker with a knack for understanding, technology transfer and generality. I am looking for software development projects (free of course) that I can help, and am always happy to discuss geekery an whatever level of detail makes sense to the other person.

Oh, and I am Slashdot user number 987, being a member of that community since before it had user accounts. I tend to drift in and out of contact with various communities, but have an Elephant's memory and never truly forget or go away.

Feel free to contact me with ideas (practical or theoretical, or even spiritual) that you wish to discuss with me.

John