Hi,

I've recently finished doing my BComm (majors in Information Systems and Business Management). I want to work my way up to either project manager or business analyst and need some advice on how to get there. If possible I'd rather avoid programming, I'm working as a tester at the moment, is this the right way to start?

Thanks
Chris

Hi,

I've recently finished doing my BComm (majors in Information Systems and Business Management). I want to work my way up to either project manager or business analyst and need some advice on how to get there. If possible I'd rather avoid programming, I'm working as a tester at the moment, is this the right way to start?

Thanks
Chris

Hi, Chris. I lucked into a business analysis team at GE. Here are some possibilities: look at job fairs--the large companies do attend; watch on web sites of major companies and apply for related jobs. Don't be afraid to apply repeatedly as long as you are looking at jobs that are related to your field. The right job can take several years and you may have to pay some dues to get it. Look for internships even if the salary is low. Try smaller reputable companies as well as large ones--GE acquired my company. Look for cities/towns with a technical community and network--join consultant associations if you have a skill you can market outside the job and build a reputation as a fixer. Start a small business with a partner and contract your services. Apply to large companies as a contractor. Perot Systems and other consulting companies hire contractors. Leverage your specialty in testing to work as a 6-12 month contractor at a large company and look around for jobs while you are there--be sure to work extra hard and look for ways to do something exceptional so that the company wants to keep you and place you in other roles. I hope this gives you come ideas

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.