Member Avatar for whoost
whoost

hi, i'm currently working on a school project, and i've been given some information that could possibly be beneficial to my cause if i could understand it. Besides, i'm one of those people who just doesn't accept an answer when there's a possibility of a 'how' behind it.

part of the passage i'm trying to comprehend talks about accessing BIOS, where it mentions overwriting and "AND"ing "addresses". i can tell the addresses are hex, and i'm guessing that AND works similarly to database "AND"s.

Anyways, my main wonderment (word? =p) is about these supposed hex addresses. The passages talk about several addresses similar to 0xA09001A0 that are being overwritten with 0xFFFFFFFF or AND-ed with 0x00040000. If anyone could help me understand where these are or what they point to, that would be great. And do these specific values mean anything or were they more likely arbitrarily generated with no specific target or purpose in mind.

nothing extremely important, but if you can help, thanks in advanced

or if anyone could possibly point me to a different site or post, i'd appreciate that as well