hey i need a new laptop, I am willing to spend between $600 - $800 USD. I really like the vaios but they're kinda out of my price range. I will be purchasing online and I am kinda leaning more along the lines of an Hp and not really dell.

Any suggestions????

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

well, in addition to cost, you may wanna take into consideration what you're going to be using the PC for, for example if you're a PC gamer, you'll want to think about grapics (monitor size), memory, processor speed, weight, wirless and battery power....just to name a few. Personally, i've had no problems with DELL, you can get great deals from them with decent specs. The SONY is pretty kool too.

http://www.newegg.com/ is the best place to start looking for that laptop.just last month my wife and i did the research looking for one with XP\sp2 on it. founded an ASUS that had XP and the price was under 800$. It has a duel core AMD processor, 1gb of memory, 14or 15 inch screen, and an 80gb hdd.She loves it, and besides it looks good too!:)

If it has vista DO NOT get less than 1gb ram. 2GB ram is better

simple ram to performance table

RAM------XP-----------------Vista
256------OK but slow-------Wont even boot
512------Average-----------OK but slow
1gb------Good---------------Average
2gb------Awesome----------Good

and yeah go dual core. A sempron or celeron or something like that will be sloooooow with vista. Also bear in mind that vista will eat hard disk space like anything. 60gb is a minimum to look for (120 is better)

An $800 dollar Toshiba Satellite laptops kicks major booty. I have 2 Satellites (one 15' Core Solo, one 17' Pentium M) and a Dell, and overall, the Toshibas are better.

I recently installed Vista Ultimate on the 1.8GHz Core Solo with 512MB of Ram, and I must say the performance is not really a lot slower than with XP, and it's used regularly for everyday tasks like browsing, movies, office editing (word, ppt) and such, all while using NOD32 as an antivirus (that helps a lot).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.