My background: I have a bachelors in math, then I taught for a few years, didn't like it, and decided to go into software development (i took a few classes in college, and continued teaching myself for the past few years, and I really enjoy it.) I have met several people who weren't that smart who were in software development and didn't have degrees in CS. So, I thought 'hey if they can do this, i surely can.' I tried to do the same - quit my job, got java certified (no problem w/ that). And after 8 months of looking for a job, I got absolutely nowhere. I enrolled in a masters degree in CS with the hopes that would increase my chances. SO that's where I am now. My question is: How can I set myself up for a job in the future. My experience has been that all employers care about is experience, which I have none, of course. I'm still in school, but how can I gain experience? I've been contacting companies and applying for internships but that isn't going anywhere. I've been trying to get part time work, but that isn't going anywhere. All I ever hear is "oh you shouldn't have any trouble finding a job in that field" but, um, I'm still broke and unemployed. Anyone out there who can give me advice? Thanks, -T

My advice would be to start by creating yourself a website (if you haven't already got one) and create yourself a portfolio section for your work.

Create a CV/Reseme and sell yourself with your skills, keep it short though, around 2 pages.

Gain more experience by doing freelance work. There are plenty of websites that you can sign up to for free. This will give you more work and the ability to keep your portfolio up-to-date and full of new work, and earn some money at the same time.

Research your area. Find out what type of business' need your skills, open the yellow pages and contact some of them, you have nothing to loose.

Look at websites in your area, look at the careers/jobs pages to see if they are looking for someone like you, with your skill set.

Here's a list of a couple of Freelance websites:

Rent - A - Coder
oDesk

I'm sure there are loads more, but that's 2 of the big ones.

I Hope this information helps you a little.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.