Hi guys,

I've been having sort of a rivalry with a kid i know for about a month now. Ill get ur msn password and you get mine kind of thing. Though now i am really confused since he actually managed to get it. The password in question was "Y9TSnfUKcC82t3bsDV56" so not exactly a easy one to crack by any standard and yet he was able to somehow get it and its driving me nuts as to how. Anyone know how such a feat is even possible? The only thing i can think of is if maybe it's a keylogger on my slutty windows bootcamp partition. Let me know if you guys have any ideas.

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

Keylogger or a False login page. Did you allow him to use your PC? If yes, he must have installed the keylogger.

Just a month back, one of my friends made a false myspace login page at 110mb.com and gave away the links to school children asking for "proxies" to get on to myspace at school, on Yahoo answers

He got a LOT of myspace passwords, but then he got scared of the law and stopped doing that before he could get into trouble.

What OS and what browser are you using?

He has video cameras

if you tell your browser to save your passwords, or if you tick "remember me" it can be decoded,

I second jbennet. If you have it stored somewhere (and typing that all the time would be god-awful), it can be found.

He got a LOT of myspace passwords, but then he got scared of the law and stopped doing that before he could get into trouble.

He should have changed all those passwords and reported those kids to their schools giving the accounts and passwords as evidence :)

He should have changed all those passwords and reported those kids to their schools giving the accounts and passwords as evidence :)

He didn't want to get into trouble. What he did is called 'Password Phishing'.

most phishers never get caught despite doing a lot more nasty stuff than spanking some kids who want to do look at pr0n on school computers :)

I actually use about 4 different computers throughout the course of the day. My work one running Windows XP, My home one running vista, my laptop running OSX and Widnows XP. He has not had any physical access to my computer and i find it hard to believe that he would be able to get remote access to my computer to either install a keylogger or find the file that the encrypted file that it is saved in. I am also not dumb enough to type my password into any fake phishing pages.

The thing that really got me about this whole thing was that this Kid is a true moron. He doesn't go to school most of the time and usually he spends that extra time playing crappy computer games. Maybe i just underestimated him and he did manage to get a keylogger of some sort onto my computer.

he probably just looked over your shoulder

he probably just looked over your shoulder

The password was Y9TSnfUKcC82t3bsDV56 !! He must be some extra terrestrial with super memory then.

The easiest thing i would try first is to find out your ip(there are several ways) and then try and connect to your computer using limewire. Then if you had you password saved in any files he could get it easily. That is of course if you allow this and dont have a firewall.

Problem resolved. It seems my supervisor thought it would be funny if he put a keylogger on my computer and kept giving the passwords to this kid so that it would confuse me.

and that's why we used to install firewalls on our computers to block out such people (and the sysadmins as well).

Problem resolved. It seems my supervisor thought it would be funny if he put a keylogger on my computer and kept giving the passwords to this kid so that it would confuse me.

Anyway, how do you remember such long and jumbled password? I use simple ones like ****** (only lowercase alphabets), and one can easily break it by a dictionary attack. How do you remember that password?

Anyway, how do you remember such long and jumbled password? I use simple ones like ****** (only lowercase alphabets), and one can easily break it by a dictionary attack. How do you remember that password?

It's easy to remember some passwords if you have a good way to remember them by. Mine is typically 10 to 18 characters, including letters, numbers, and symbols. I just have a couple rules I tend to follow to make it easier to remember. ;)

make a rhyme

tqbFjOt5d

"the quick brown fox jumped over the sleeping dog"

I would be looking to get a new job if my supervisor "thought it would be funny if he put a keylogger on my computer".

I'd get that "supervisor" fired instead for violating the law as well as company policy...

violating the law as well as company policy...

actually, its in most company policies that anything done on a work computer may be intercepted by the company.

I would guess their policy does not extend to personally installing keyloggers for the purpose of intercepting passwords though.

still though, the moral of the story is - dont do non-work stuff at work e.g MSN

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.