I'm working on a Vista Home Premium machine for someone. Its a new Toshiba laptop and works well except for retrieval of some attachments, most notably PPS (PowerPointShow) files. Her ISP is MSN and she accesses email through that interface as installed by the QWest DSL group.

While these new attachments don't work (they appear to run the XML conversion, but don't play when that is completed. Saved as .PPS files, they are unreadable.), old PPS files I moved from her previous machine to the new one play beautifully.

I've tried adjusting security (including shutting off protected mode). I re-installed PowerPointViewer2007. All M$ Updates are current, including the optionals. It is IE7, not IE8 (beta).

If it did not play any PPS files, I would look at the association bug that came up a while back and see if there was a Vista version of PPSFix (this exe is for XP), but it does play the old ones -- just not attached or downloaded attachments.

Does anyone have experience with this issue? Ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Thanks cguan_77. I should probably have included that link for the Vista equivalent of PPSFix for information here.

Sadly, that isn't the problem here. It would have been nice.

Any other ideas?

do you have the office installed on your pc? or only the powerpoint viewer?
the file downloaded from attachment on that particular pc if copied to another pc does it work or not?

Just PowerPoint Viewer 2007. The file does play on another PC (XP) with the 2007 viewer installed. Some PPS files on the computer play -- and, oddly, it is only those downloaded from MSN that don't. Those that came in by CD/DVD/Thumbdrive/Cable transfer do.

I guess this makes me think there might be something in MSN security that causes either the problem, or does not want to download executable files on a Vista machine that have no problems on XP. That is why I disabled "protected mode", but that didn't fix the problem.

Spent some time repairing the MSN install instead of focussing on the PPS. All files now downloading work, so I am going to assume that was the problem.

Thanks for replies.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.