Good Day,

My name is Gary and I have just singed up to Daniweb. I am currently looking into how to setup an ecommerce website for my mother in law who hands makes her own jewlery in South Africa.

What she is wanting is a website to showcase her pieces and have a world wide market.

I have been looking into using a Website template as there seems to be some excellent sites available, with the obvious changes required within either dreamweaver and photoshop, which I am comfortable with doing.

However, this will be an Ecommerce site, so I am unfamiliar with the following:

"Software Required: Hosting with PHP5x and MySQL5x; Apache only (on Unix/Freebsd/Linux/Windows); osCommerce runs on most server specific configurations ranging from dedicated servers to shared servers that utilize different PHP configurations such as register_globals (should be ON) and safe_mode restrictions"

What does this mean?

I am also researching how to setup the actual credit card transaction process once items have been placed into the basket, again any help out there?

Any suggestions on good host providers?

I am very new to this, I have never setup or managed a website before and would be very grateful for any advice or assistance that anyone reading this could offer.

We are based in Durban, South Africa.

Kind Regards
Gary Page

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Welcome , its nice having you around here.

However, this will be an Ecommerce site, so I am unfamiliar with the following:

"Software Required: Hosting with PHP5x and MySQL5x; Apache only (on Unix/Freebsd/Linux/Windows); osCommerce runs on most server specific configurations ranging from dedicated servers to shared servers that utilize different PHP configurations such as register_globals (should be ON) and safe_mode restrictions"

What does this mean?

Above is set of recommended technologies to use, I think you picked up in some book or article
PHP - is scripting language (there are others too)
MySQL - is database
Apache - is server that supports/enables you to run the above technologies

I'm not sure how much time you wish to spend on learning and developing the site, but you would need to learn a lot about PHP & MySQL

I suggest you use paypal.com. It's very easy to use, and you can have carts or buy it now buttons. Paypal accepts credit cards, among other things.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.