Hey guys,

So I finished my first year of college. I'm taking computer science, or well tiring to. My first programming class (python) wasn't to bad. The next class was java and well... I failed the class.... badly. Was it hard for you guys to learn programming for the first time? What got me was the projects later in class. Especially hangman. My friend basically did it all for me. I didn't even know where to start. My teacher didn't do a good job of telling us how to work on it. Was java hard for you guys? Because it was really hard for me.

Zel

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Was it hard for you guys to learn programming for the first time?

No.

It's not your teacher's job to tell you how to work on the project.

> My friend basically did it all for me.
Well there's your problem.

Unless you do all the work, AND make damn sure you understand all the reasons why you did everything ("I guessed and it worked" doesn't count), then you're doomed to fail from the moment you get someone else to pitch in.

> Because it was really hard for me.
Like any acquired skill, some people get it right away, and others have to work really hard at it.

> Was it hard for you guys to learn programming for the first time?
Have you actually been taught how to program?
Or have you just been given a course in two programming languages?

Otherwise known as
- Here's what a house built out of wood looks like (Python)
- Here's what a house built out of brick looks like (Java)

But unless you've actually understood the principles of building a house, regardless of the materials you choose), then all you'll ever be able to build is a barbeque (otherwise known as a "hello world" programmer). The world is knee-deep in hello world programmers.

The "how to program" is a very distinct step in your education, and it seems to me that this has been missed (or at least glossed over).

I started learning C++ (which is supposedly harder to learn than Java) at the age of 13, and im completely self taught. All it takes is a bit of time and effort, and it seems you just haven't put in the effort. :-O

Theres also plenty of resources over the web that could help you, so saying "My teacher didn't do a good job of telling us how to work on it" shoulden't really matter.

commented: An awful lot of what I know, I figured out myself as well - good for you :) +20

I started learning C++ (which is supposedly harder to learn than Java) at the age of 13, and im completely self taught. All it takes is a bit of time and effort, and it seems you just haven't put in the effort. :-O

Theres also plenty of resources over the web that could help you, so saying "My teacher didn't do a good job of telling us how to work on it" shoulden't really matter.

It still amazes me that you've become as good as you are at such a young age =)

It'll be awhile before I can catch up to you in C++ and Assembly. Until then, I must study more! XP

Edit: Actually, come to think of it... you pretty much have to be willing to study your entire life to be a good programmer.

Change happens and you just have to deal with it. If you fold your arms and close your eyes to things that change, you'll be left in the dust @_@

commented: I'm sure you will catch up :)! +3

> It'll be awhile before I can catch up to you in C++ and Assembly.
Im not to sure about that :) I barely know assembly at all but whenever I can be bothered, I try to learn some.

commented: A Modest Pro =P +3

Java is hard to learn if it is the first language that you are trying to learn but if do not do your homework/project assignment yourself you will never learn a single programming language , it requires lot of practice and hard work,

i self taught myself java about two years ago, when i first started reading about it, it seemed daunting. but once i actually started to do the stuff in the tutorials and books, i started to get better and better.

it's a matter of doing your own work, and paying attention to who/what ever is teaching you

Programming really at start could be really hard - that's nature...but, just like any other things, you can master it if you really want it and need it - so, you have to practice a lot. Syntax and semantics is the basis for all these programming stuffs, so you need to first learn it(start from the very basic) and you have to love it... As a suggestion, I would like to recommend that you start C programming because once you'll learn it and master it, you will easily learn some other programming languages in just within even weeks.

Sorry I havent been able to reply. Way to busy at work lately. I just wanted to see what everyone had to say. Java is my first programming language and since I have never programmed before its a tad challenging for me. Well I should have better luck this coming quarter! I still want to do computer science.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.