Can anybody explain me what are the advantages of flat TV over an ordinary TV?

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

A flat TV is heavier and makes a better paper weight.

commented: Now that's just BS. Have you ever picked up a 30" CRT television? -3

A flat TV is, well, flatter. Persons who are unhappy with the less-flatness of the ordinary TV will appreciate the more-flatness of the flat TV, but of course even the flat TV still has some degree of not-flatness. Those seeking absolute flatness will likely still be unhappy with current flat TVs.

I use my monitor for TV and it is flat.

A flat TV is heavier and makes a better paper weight.

And looks like crap.......

I prefer the old traditional TV thank you :) (Same with monitors)

I like flat screen monitors because they give me extra space on my desk for other stuff. I would like a flat screen tv but refuse to pay that much for something that bores me to tears. We don't get cable because then we would be paying for crap and still have commercials.

Ok, I know I am gonna hear it from several of you, but I have 4 flat panel tv's and I also have a 24" flat panel monitor. For me it is all about the HIGH-DEF! I love me a good football or basketball game in HD. I also like my video games in HD as well. But as far as practicallity is concerned, flat panels are space savers, and the viewing angles are great on most of them. I also love the widescreen format for those good movie nights as well. To each their own...

...I choose the flatness!!

commented: Be able to choose is a good thing. +10

>Ok, I know I am gonna hear it from several of you
You shouldn't. Unless any of them helped you to pay for it.

>...I choose the flatness!!
I choose you, Pikachu! ;)

And looks like crap.......

I prefer the old traditional TV thank you :) (Same with monitors)

Why do you think they look like crap??

PS: Flat panels are not heavier!

Flatsreen TVs are != Flat TVs.

A LCD screen has both a flat screen and is thin whereas a CRT screen is much larger but can have either a nearly flat or a curved screen.

I bought one of those 'flat' screen 'crt' televisions for my wife for her Xmas - she would have killed me if I had bought a flat screen tv. And I got a really good deal on it cuz no one wanted 'crt' tvs any more. We are purposedly remaining ludite - it is a long story having to do with hurricane Fran and cell phones.

I bought one of those 'flat' screen 'crt' televisions for my wife for her Xmas - she would have killed me if I had bought a flat screen tv. And I got a really good deal on it cuz no one wanted 'crt' tvs any more. We are purposedly remaining ludite - it is a long story having to do with hurricane Fran and cell phones.

Well..........

I am ready to hear the story!

I personally have all flat-panel, although not nearly on the scale of ITdupuis. I have 2x17" lcds on my main PC, a 15" on my "hackintosh", and a 37" HD LCD in my living room, I love them all and wouldn't change any of them back to CRT. But with that said, if I was going to buy a budget TV for my bedroom it very well might be a flat-screen CRT.

LCDs and Plasmas do look better, and have the potential to look much better (although some newer large-screen CRTs are high def) but that can cause problems. Because they're designed for HD, and generally large format, they don't look great if you hook it up to a low quality video source. Not only is it a waste of your electronics but standard ratio video is squished (not badly but if you switch back and forth between the same show in standard and wide screen you do really notice the difference).

In my opinion, consider HD flat-panel if you have, or plan to get, high def cable/satellite or if you watch a lor of DVD/Blueray movies. If you don't really watch DVDs and have an antenna you're better off going cheap and waiting until you're going to make use of it (they will be a better value then anyway).

Although, some people do buy them because they're low on space or just don't want a bulky entertainment center. My main motivation for getting an LCD was wanting to redecorate my apartment and having a funny floorplan that limited my options for an entertainment system.

commented: dont talk about hackintosh here or youll get an infraction. -6

I like flat screen monitors because they give me extra space on my desk for other stuff. I would like a flat screen tv but refuse to pay that much for something that bores me to tears. We don't get cable because then we would be paying for crap and still have commercials.

I'm with you there. We do have cable though because my wife loves TV. I much prefer the internet and I actually have two flat panel monitors which together cost more than the TV. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.