I've been researching a problem for a while now. My mother who is just about 80 years old can no longer speak as a result of cancer. I know she's become very flustrated because she can't talk on a phone. She can't type, so TTY devices won't work either.

I've looked at Tablet PC's thinking she could hand write a message, convert it to text, then play it on a speech synthysizer. Any tablet will do that, but since she's not a compter geek either, I don't know how hard it would be to teach her.

Does anyone think it would be possible to write simple program that would perform those actions automatically? Write a short message, and press a go button?

Please let me know what you think!
Thanks,
Doug Dean

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Tablets arent that great if you have the shakes and they also require a particular writing style, generally proper handwriting e.g cursive doesnt work at all, which is probably a bad thing for you as i know its the way in which my grandmother (similar age) writes.

If she cant type will she be able to use a stylus?

And yeah, text to speech synth functionality is available in microsft windows.

She has pretty good hand writing, so I don't think that would be an issue. My specific problem is simplyfing the process of converting a handwritten note to text and then to speech. Does anyone think I can create small program that will execute those three tasks at the push of a button (on screen button)?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.