Forgive me if this is not the correct place to post this question.

How do you judge your own programming skills? How do you know you're 'good enough' to land a job in the field and to do a good job?

There are so many more questions that I cannot answer than ones I can, which is a little discouraging.

What gives you the confidence to know that you are a good programmer?

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by MyrtleTurtle

:D When you post answers to questions here do people jump down your throat about using bad techniques, commands, formatting? :twisted:
that would be clue #1...:icon_mrgreen:

No one knows everything about everything. IMO you will know you are a good programmer when your peers tell you that you are one. And that takes a lot of time and practice. Employers do not expect entry-level people to know a lot about programming. You should be able to write simple programs, and probably make errors while doing it. You will not be expected to have the knowledge of someone with a Ph.D. or 10 year's experience. So don't be so hard on yourself. I had a prof who told the class once that graduating from college is not the end of your learning experience, but only the beginning. College just gives you the tools to learn.

do people jump down your throat

Not everyone. Mostly it's just one persistent mod.
lol

You should be able to write simple programs, and probably make errors while doing it.

I have that second part down pat.

Thank you both for the replies.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.