Just out of curiosity where did the name Bing for Microsoft's search engine come from. Did they pronounce C sharp like an instrument crossed with programming. I'm not sure and thought I would start a topic to share thoughts on Bings name.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

it was thought up by overpaid marketers after thousands of manhours and catering bills.

the end result is just something that can be verb-ifyed, in an attempt to move into google's marketspace. that it rhymes with "ping" is an attempt to associate it with information gathering.

all in all, its not a bad choice. they may gain some traction on google. but i think it will always lag behind in market share. there doesnt seem to be anything fundamentally different, no paradigm shifts. no ground-breaking revolutionary technology.

just more of the same "catch up" game.

conclusion: "meh"

I was thinking of creating my own rival search engine and calling it "Crosby" ;)

I would see your unrelated Crosby entity and raise you Stills and Nash (and maybe even Young).

I keep wondering when Bing is going to start making decisions for me -- it's supposed to tell me which airline flights are bearing north by northeast while serving pretzels from a flight attendant named Gertrude. And how about that Wolfram Alpha...

I guess it's Microsoft attempt to be Cool as Apple or Google . They should have gone ahead with monumental/architectural names like Doors, Flush, Dimension, etc - But Bing, Kin1 and Kin2? Hello ...

I'm not convinced on Bing. It seems to be a re skinned Google.

Do identical searches on both and the results are generally the same, maybe a slightly different order but no major differences for a good query.

Why they market it as a 'decision engine' is beyond me, it doesn't appear to do anything new or any neat tricks... Unless I am missing something..

commented: No, you are exactly right. +0

Why they market it as a 'decision engine' is beyond me, it doesn't appear to do anything new or any neat tricks... Unless I am missing something..

With Bling or Bing you can view the text on the links page without clicking the link just like viewing the first post of a topic on daniweb when hovering over the link.

I love Bing, it is far better than Google!

I wonder if C Sharp lol is the new version of C#? May I ought to bing for it. Hehe!

I think he meant C Sharp 101

I think he meant C Sharp 101

because that would make MUCH more sense

:icon_rolleyes:

I just binged for "C Sharp lol"

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.