Just out of curiosity where did the name Bing for Microsoft's search engine come from. Did they pronounce C sharp like an instrument crossed with programming. I'm not sure and thought I would start a topic to share thoughts on Bings name.

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Ene Uran
Featured Replies
  • I'm not convinced on Bing. It seems to be a re skinned Google. Do identical searches on both and the results are generally the same, maybe a slightly different order but no major differences for a good query. Why they market it as a 'decision engine' is beyond me, it … Read More

[QUOTE=HiHe;1198946]I think he meant C Sharp 101[/QUOTE] because that would make MUCH more sense :icon_rolleyes: Read More

it was thought up by overpaid marketers after thousands of manhours and catering bills.

the end result is just something that can be verb-ifyed, in an attempt to move into google's marketspace. that it rhymes with "ping" is an attempt to associate it with information gathering.

all in all, its not a bad choice. they may gain some traction on google. but i think it will always lag behind in market share. there doesnt seem to be anything fundamentally different, no paradigm shifts. no ground-breaking revolutionary technology.

just more of the same "catch up" game.

conclusion: "meh"

I was thinking of creating my own rival search engine and calling it "Crosby" ;)

I would see your unrelated Crosby entity and raise you Stills and Nash (and maybe even Young).

I keep wondering when Bing is going to start making decisions for me -- it's supposed to tell me which airline flights are bearing north by northeast while serving pretzels from a flight attendant named Gertrude. And how about that Wolfram Alpha...

I guess it's Microsoft attempt to be Cool as Apple or Google . They should have gone ahead with monumental/architectural names like Doors, Flush, Dimension, etc - But Bing, Kin1 and Kin2? Hello ...

I'm not convinced on Bing. It seems to be a re skinned Google.

Do identical searches on both and the results are generally the same, maybe a slightly different order but no major differences for a good query.

Why they market it as a 'decision engine' is beyond me, it doesn't appear to do anything new or any neat tricks... Unless I am missing something..

Votes + Comments
No, you are exactly right.

Why they market it as a 'decision engine' is beyond me, it doesn't appear to do anything new or any neat tricks... Unless I am missing something..

With Bling or Bing you can view the text on the links page without clicking the link just like viewing the first post of a topic on daniweb when hovering over the link.

I love Bing, it is far better than Google!

I wonder if C Sharp lol is the new version of C#? May I ought to bing for it. Hehe!

Edited by Lardmeister: n/a

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.