hi everyone first off.

wondered if someone could help me. i'm in the final year of my BSc course and have the idea of building a website that lets users views different club events from around the region. I also intend to use RSS technology to keep the user updated. i've been told this may not have enough complexity to warrant a good project.

can anyone suggest any other idea;s to add to this perhaps that will work.
sending info to WAP enabled phones perhaps??????

thanks

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

JSP wiki....Still not enough, but might be something cool to add.

JSP Wiki already exists :)
In fact there's an open source wiki with exactly that name (which is indeed written as a set of JSPs).

the original idea is indeed not very complicated. RSS feeds are just standard components to plug into existing frameworks and servers so add only the little complexity of adding a few lines to some configuration files.
You'll have to come up with something that actually requires some programming rather than plugging ready-made products together and maybe making some graphics and stylesheets.

You'll have to come up with something that actually requires some programming rather than plugging ready-made products together and maybe making some graphics and stylesheets.

thanks for btoh replys so far.
this is the bit i'm pretty stuck on at the minute. can any one suggest anything.

What kind of programming do you know?

php, java(though its not a strong point), mysql, javascript...

just looking the possible use of "recommender systems"?????

Create a website than can run an interpreter. I send, paste or type a short program code into the site's entry field and the site returns the result. The language I like to see is of course Python.

Create a website than can run an interpreter. I send, paste or type a short program code into the site's entry field and the site returns the result. The language I like to see is of course Python.

Neat idea.

If you go that route, make it real-time with "AJAX." (Otherwise the project could take less than 10 lines of code.) Then write a tetris in Python, and run it over the Javascript console. :-)

Well, you'd have to put in a very serious security layer to prevent harmful code from being executed.
Too many websites (and other applications) forget about that, allowing the user to execute unguarded code on the server with often disastrous results.
That would be the real project, the presentation and user interface the icing on the cake.

Neat idea.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.