Hello everyone,

I am a MS Computer Science student, 2nd year.

I am looking for ideas of mini image processing projects. I need to come up with a project for my Image Processing class, but the project needs to be done within 4 weeks.

Any suggestion on something that could be interesting, relatively new, and that can be done in a short amount of time?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Do you mean you are making an image manipulation program like Photoshop and/or you want projects to make in Photoshop or something?

Given you did not specified what "Image Processing", plus you did not mentioned programming language you want/can use it is hard to advise.
However you may consider to write up something like this ExposurePlot, (I'm trying to write it at the moment with Java 7 as file metadata is new feature of Java latest release)

The language can be Java or C++, I am just now learning Matlab, so I don't think I will be using that one for this project.
I need a project that will be able to do image manipulation like Photoshop, but it would be something more like on the application side. For example, using what I learnt in my image processing class to do facial detection and differentiate male from female...

The only problem is that the project needs to be done within a 4 weeks period...

The language can be Java or C++, I am just now learning Matlab, so I don't think I will be using that one for this project.
I need a project that will be able to do image manipulation like Photoshop, but it would be something more like on the application side. For example, using what I learnt in my image processing class to do facial detection and differentiate male from female...

The only problem is that the project needs to be done within a 4 weeks period...

We do not know what you learn so far and given the nature of the project I would say it is very short period to accomplish. Given what you just told us, start with simple console application where you provide image folder as argument at start, do your chosen processing and then provide some form of output/report. Once this accomplished and there is some time remaining try to provide some simple GUI like simple where user can immediately browse for and submit folder location and showing report in some more structured way.

I have already done some application like the one you suggested. I already created an application that will allow the user to select an image and do operations like convolution, interpolation, linear segmentation, histogram and histogram equalization. But it was a homework assignment. I need something a little more advanced. And the project is supposed to provide some kind of contribution, something that is new...

Is there anything new in image compression that I can do? or something simple in face detection?

Sorry not my area of interest so I wouldn't know...

You can do simple face recongnition/detection, the famous image processing project. Though there is a great work in these areas but you can put something new. PCA (principle component analysis) is usually used for face recoginition and skin color tone, edge detection, neure processing etc are used for face detection. It is not big task to develop them in Matlab because toolkits are available in Matlab and you just need to call the methods. You can choose C# for development, this would help you to better understand how to perform image processing in depth like edge detection, guassian blur, mean, median and average etc

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.