I have been working on Linux platform for 3 years. Now i am quite comfortable while using Linux.
I want to start working on Open Source Projects but not getting any idea that how and from where should i start.
Somebody, please help me out.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

1) find a project
2) join the mailing lists
3) read the bug database
4) download the source
5) get working
6) submit patches/bugfixes
7) eventually, maybe, get commit status

commented: You know the drill ;) +0
commented: Bang on! +0

I think sourceforge.net will be the best option for finding the project right ??
There i can join mailing lists also but how will i get the bug database ??
Because generally it doesn't come with the project itself.

Look at the project's webpage for information.

What sort of project are you interested in?

Any project which is written in C/C++/PHP/JAVA

Any project which is written in C/C++/PHP/JAVA

wrong attitude. Find something that interests you on a functional level, not some randomg project just because it is created in a specific programming language.

I think sourceforge.net will be the best option for finding the project right ??
There i can join mailing lists also but how will i get the bug database ??
Because generally it doesn't come with the project itself.

I do not want to sound negative, but sourceforge is not what it used to be. I would check also github, Google Code and Apache Projects

wrong attitude. Find something that interests you on a functional level, not some randomg project just because it is created in a specific programming language.

Sorry, but i am a beginner in this field and couldn't figure out till yet that which kind of projects interests me. Actually i don't know about what are the areas in which i can work, as till now i have worked on academic projects only including areas like Image Processing and Web Development using HTML, Javascript and PHP. So, i thought, let's do this way.
If I am wrong then please tell me what should i do.

I do not want to sound negative, but sourceforge is not what it used to be. I would check also github, Google Code and Apache Projects

Thanks, these sites are really very useful and i personally found them better than Sourceforge for my interest.

How is sourceforge not what it used to be?

At the time it was privilege to get project hosting, you had to get through tough process of explaining why your project should be hosted etc.
Now days anyone can get project hosted at sourceforge. However in order to survive they have to relay on heavy advertising to support their old software and hardware setup. Due these "problems" number of good projects moved to more flexible and open project hosting solutions. This is how I see it

commented: That is a shame :( +0

What you could do is start little projects yourself, on your home machine, for example little problems at home. I remember when i was smaller, i made little programs to make shopping lists, with favorites all of and so on, little programs can help like that.

I know it might sound silly, but it will teach you about requirements, breaking problems down, programming from the ground up without any guidance, along with testing and optimisation.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.