Have you seen Dredd? It was okay...

Member Avatar for LastMitch

I thought Frankenweenie is a terrible film, just like all Tim Burton films...

What are you talking about? Tim Burton is very creative director. His films are amazing. Maybe I think the last 2 movies didn't do well in the box office. But overall Tim Burton films are good.

I saw Jack Reacher last weekend, kind of liked it.

I will be honest, he is very creative... but i hate his films because they bore me. His best film is probably alice in wonderland...

I will be honest, he is very creative... but i hate his films because they bore me. His best film is probably alice in wonderland...

I don't find Tim Burton to be very creative lately. In my book, he made a few great movies: Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow, and Sweeney Todd. I think you might pick another movie or two that were good. But most of the last movies in the streak of Tim Burton milking the "Johnny Depp" cash-cow by putting him in funny costume and having him prance around weren't very interesting, or creative.

Well I do agree with you. He is creative, but he isn't as creative as before. Scissorhands, Alice in Wonderland, and Sweeney Todd were creative but they featured a cash cow (Johny Depp) in an odd costume.

Near where I live (if you count 100 miles being close) there was a Tim Burton Gallery in a popular museum, i didn't go there, but the reviews were good.

Near where I live (if you count 100 miles being close) there was a Tim Burton Gallery in a popular museum, i didn't go there, but the reviews were good.

Really? Can you go to that museum and take some images of what they have in there and post on here or create a thread for Tim Burton?

If you have time ... beside homework, basketball, girls and etc.. oh forgot Daniweb too. =)

I am not sure if they have it anymore, its been around for quite a while though. It is like the getty museum featuring Da Vinci's work... they only have it for a month and they bring it back later on in time.

But if i go, i will be sure to change my avatar into one of his works and make a thread for him in the geek's lounge.

You can google the tim burton museum.

The work of Burton was in LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum of Art).

Here is a link to the "near by" museum
http://www.lacma.org/art/exhibition/tim-burton

If you have time ... beside homework, basketball, girls and etc.. oh forgot Daniweb too. =)

Whenever I have time, i will be on daniweb :). All the other factors aren't very important to me because they don't contribute towards my success in getting to Harvard (I want to be an M.D. PhD and entrepeneur from a top notch university, following the footsteps of my parents and grandparents side). I come from a family who like math, business, classical music (we are all piano, flute, and violen), and science (both physics and biology) :) So me learning how to program (don't laugh LastMitch, Pritaeas, JorgeM, Diafol, Broj1, and all my other peers that assist me) is a big plus if i start an ecommerce site (which i did, but i am in test mode) :). I think i have a lot of time on my hands... Sorry if the information i provided was irrelevant, but it's to tell you how much work i have to do until i am in harvard and whenever i have free time, i am here with you guys on daniweb rather than being with the girls (mentioned by LastMitch)!.

Quick question, is it normal to daniweb more than to be on Facebook? I noticed that i am on daniweb constantly and have a facebook that is rarely opened.

Member Avatar for diafol

Quick question, is it normal to daniweb more than to be on Facebook? I noticed that i am on daniweb constantly and have a facebook that is rarely opened.

Yes. Facebook is evil. Welcome to the light.

Phew, I knew i made the right choice :)

<off topic>

contribute towards my success in getting to Harvard

Going to an Ivy league school doesn't guaranteed you a job or work.

After you graduate you will start square one. The only edge you have is because of the school you attended. Other than that you have to start from scratch. Plus you have to pay off your student loan.

I didn't go to any prestigious school. I don't have any student loan because I got a scholarship.

You will be surpirse the smartest people in the world didn't attend prestigious school but by working hard and by experience.

Like what diafol mention Facebook is evil. Welcome to the light.

</off topic>

The work of Burton was in LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum of Art).

Nice article! Nice exhibition dedicating a to Tim Burton.

<off topic>

contribute towards my success in getting to Harvard

Going to an Ivy league school doesn't guaranteed you a job or work.

After you graduate you will start square one. The only edge you have is because of the school you attended. Other than that you have to start from scratch. Plus you have to pay off your student loan.

I wouldn't wait until graduation. By that time, it's too late, it doesn't matter what school you went too. Also, people coming out of Ivy league colleges have the well-deserved reputation of either having rich parents (and thus, guaranteed opportunities after graduation), or having become lazy from years of attending a privileged school that is designed to let rich kids make their parents proud with a shiny degree (and employers are very much aware of that). The reputation of the school helps only to some extent: coming from an unknown average university can be a handicap, but flashy degrees aren't enough to impress any reasonably smart employer (only stupid ones).

The aim should be that by the time you graduate, someone can ask you "why should I hire you?" and you can talk for 15min without ever mentioning where you graduated from or what your grades were. In other words, internships, projects, theses, etc., whatever puts you ahead. The diploma, the name of the university, or your GPA, are only decorations on your CV (but necessary).

</off topic>

Member Avatar for diafol

Just watched The Sweeney. Anything with Ray Winstone's worth a look. Not bad - would watch it again. Can't beat the 70's series though - they were real "10 guvs a day" men.

LastMitch, i agree but i was aiming towards scholarships rather than a heavy loan. I want to make something out of college so i want to have the edge rather than starting after college. But yes, some of the smartest people in the world never went to well known schools... But problem is that they aren't as well known... Some of them.

Well i realized that my school activities are only gilded to the diploma... But going to an Ivy League school is still very important because i want to follow my parents foot steps. Plus, when you apply for a job, you are more considered and more respected. Which is why i want to be and MD PhD... I can carry on with my dreams but that isn't important in this specific thread... So lets get back on topic.

I just saw the Social Network, it was decent but Jesse Eisenberg's acting was great, he should have won the Oscar over the other dude, his film sucked by my opinion... But I wanna his next film (Jesse), "Now you see me".

<off topic>

@mike_2000_17

Also, people coming out of Ivy league colleges have the well-deserved reputation of either having rich parents (and thus, guaranteed opportunities after graduation), or having become lazy from years of attending a privileged school that is designed to let rich kids make their parents proud with a shiny degree (and employers are very much aware of that). The reputation of the school helps only to some extent: coming from an unknown average university can be a handicap, but flashy degrees aren't enough to impress any reasonably smart employer (only stupid ones).

The aim should be that by the time you graduate, someone can ask you "why should I hire you?" and you can talk for 15min without ever mentioning where you graduated from or what your grades were. In other words, internships, projects, theses, etc., whatever puts you ahead. The diploma, the name of the university, or your GPA, are only decorations on your CV (but necessary).

Yes, I couldn't agree with your more. You right on target about what you said.

<MICHAEL>

I want to make something out of college so i want to have the edge rather than starting after college. But yes, some of the smartest people in the world never went to well known schools... But problem is that they aren't as well known... Some of them.

For example, mike_2000_17 is working on his doctorate degree. Once he graduate, he will have his degree. He is smart and will he be successful, no doubt. Right now I don't know but 25 to 30 years from now I feel mike_2000_17 will be well-known and smart in his field because of his work and experience not from the school he attended.

You can't measure a person's being successful by going to a prestigious school.

I tend to forget you still a young kid. I don't understand why being famous & well known is important to you.

</off topic>

@diafol

Just watched The Sweeney. Anything with Ray Winstone's worth a look. Not bad - would watch it again. Can't beat the 70's series though - they were real "10 guvs a day" men.

I saw the The Sweeney few months ago. I like the action but the slant was very hard for me to follow. I think you help asnwer my question about a certain term from the film. I didn't know it was a TV show in the 70's in UK. So I can't really judge whether the TV show is better than the movie. But for me it's the film. I like it. It's pretty gritty storyline.

LastMitch, Being famous and important is important to me because i want to be a benefactor to the humanity.

The point of a prestigious colleges is to make connections with someone and start a project that is significant... So i am not just there to get a diploma.

Speaking of Sweeney, i saw a bit of Sweeney Todd on tv... I got bored of it because it was the ending and sweeney's neck was slit... So i left

I just watched The Big Lebowski the other day and loved it! LoL, "Shut the f%%k up Donny"!

The Big Lebowski? Is that a recent movie (within the last 5 years)... the name is familiar.

It came out in 1998

Ahh.. the Big Lebowski, that's definitely one of my all time favorites. The Dude abides.

Wrong thread

LoL, wrong thread1

Member Avatar for diafol

Am going to watch Arbitrage (Gere/Sarandon) in a while. AM running out of decent films to watch. 1911 (Jackie Chan) looks like a next-up. Still trying to get hold of Samsara, [BTW thanks for the help p].

If anybody can recommend a 'non-obvious' good thriller / crime / action / sci-fi / film-noir film - World Cinema included, I'd be grateful.

The Big Lebowski

That was good movie! The Coen's brother are very good directors. They been on a roll with their last few films.

Am going to watch Arbitrage (Gere/Sarandon) in a while.

Money & Power! Heard of the movie. Haven't seen it yet. The producers make some good money off of this film.

If anybody can recommend a 'non-obvious' good thriller / crime / action / sci-fi / film-noir film - World Cinema included, I'd be grateful.

I think you might have saw this one: Pusher not the remake from the UK one that starts Richard Coyle but the trilogy from Nicolas Winding Refn.

This is really is an old asian movie I saw back from a few years ago. It's called a Killzone. It stars Donnie Yen. I brought this movie few years back because it's a good action movie. It'a alot of fighting and the killing is very gruesome.

You can read some review here:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/spl/

This one is from couples years back it's called: Ink is like kind of a low-budget film. I actually brought this movie few years back because it's a good movie. I don't have kids yet but this movie is more like a learning to be a good father.

You can read some review here:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1216924-ink/

Member Avatar for diafol

Cheers LM, will research.

I just saw Dredd. The new one and I kinda like it. It was good.

I think Dredd has a much strong storyline than the original one.

The sad part is that there won't be a sequel because the producer didn't make any money.

I saw dress too, but i hated seeing the slow motion fire fights... It is kind of annoying seeing bullets fly through someone's cheek in slow mode... Overall... Decent film, but no sequel is needed... I thought the main characters were good.. I hates seeing Mama (the evil producer of the slow mo drugs), i hate when i hear "Mama"... You can blame the new film called mama.

My favorite part was when the man-ish person screamed like a girl when dredd found him in the control room.

abe vampire hunter and paranorman..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.