I've read several H. G. Wells including The Time Machine. When I was very young I read the Classics Illustrated version of War of the Worlds. That helped to visualize. I've also listened to the Jeff Wayne musical version.

I prefer the 1938 radio broadcast, so cool. Especially when you keep in mind the panic it created.

The panic was an urban legend. Like the one about financial people jumping out of windows when the market tanked in 1929.

If you listen to the media historians they would have you believe that people were rioting in the streets over fears of a Martian invasion. They would have you believe that the entire country went stupid. Of course, that would explain 2000 and 2004.

R-J, about 20% of the audience believed in the broadcast - it was not the historians who would have had you believe in the 'rioting in the streets' it was the print media who blew it up out of proportion. B-t-b, 20% of the radio audience was just under a million people.

Probably the same type of people who tell us every year we are all going to die of this year's flu strain.

I recently watched Planet of the Apes. Liked the movie.

The original one with Charleton Heston or the remake with the incomprehensible ending?

Haven't heard of either but I'll look them up. I have a big-a$$ TV. Also have a projector and a large, white wall for the epics. If I didn't mention this before (and I don't think I did), you should also check out the Anime, Monster. It is another awesomely excellent series.

Member Avatar for LastMitch

The past weekend I saw this bollywood movie called Dabangg. It's about a cop who is corrupted or being too charming. I was bit surprise that Dabangg is more like Hollywood action movie rather a fresh idea storyline. The movie was OK. The actress who play Rajo she looks pretty. I think her name is Sonakshi Sinha.

I also saw Tropa de Elite 2 - O Inimigo Agora É Outro and I saw Tropa de Elite a couple years back.

Tropa de Elite 2 - O Inimigo Agora É Outro that movie is really good! The story is about Brazil government being corrupted and Brazil SWAT team being the good guys.

i watched movie 1 week ago dredd

I was in Dredd (the orginal Stallone pile of pants) albeit fleetingly as an extra in the crowd scenes - I was one of the punky looking no-goods along the main street.

@happygeek

I was in Dredd (the orginal Stallone pile of pants) albeit fleetingly as an extra in the crowd scenes - I was one of the punky looking no-goods along the main street.

What scene is that? I gonna rent the movie (it's old movie) and pause the video at scenes that show a punky looking no-good person and photoshop the image and post it here so the members try to find you. I think that's gonna be very hard. I don't think anyone actually met in you in person plus that movie is like close to 20 years old. So you might look really different.

Last Night I saw MIB 3 and Prometheus

MIB 3 was good movie.

Prometheus was OK was a bit appointed in the end.

In The Heat of The Night - Sidney Poitier is a brilliant actor, and it's a great story.

I'm really big on Sci-Fi - just for the escapism. I-Robot, Men In Black, Logan's Run. . . I could makequite in list of favourites, but it must have a good story.

Ah, and "In Time" starring Justin Timberlake, a very telling tale, highly recommended.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Prometheus is next on my to watch list... I'm going to rent out the DVD.

Oh yes and 'in time' funny my pal I was talking to today mentioned that, so I'm going to watch that one too.

I saw Prometheus a week or so ago. It was very disappointing. The only good thing in the movie is the awesome Noomi Rapace. The plot was weird and thrown together very poorly. There were too many of those obvious and unrealistic setups, like a guy deciding out of the blue that he doesn't like to see the "gross" dead alien so he decides that it is a better idea to leave his group and go wondering about alone in a dark cave on an alien planet... surprise!.. he gets killed. Then, the scientific realism is just appalling. I don't mind when Sci-fi movies have warp drives, phasers or teleporters, and I don't mind when writers construct some imaginative twists to scientific facts to create something interesting for the plot of a movie, but what I can't stand is when they propose something that is in complete contradiction to all scientific facts (in this movie: evolution), and do so very casually (like its no big deal), just so that they can make big ugly monsters pop out of mud-puddles (which isn't particularly creative or interesting, very B-movie). And the religious preaching in that movie was just obnoxious. I think they missed the mark completely by making a film that only people who are scientifically illiterate and very fond of religious mumbo-jumbo can appreciate (without being extremely irritated by it), but doing so in a Sci-fi genre, that doesn't make any (commercial) sense to me at all.

I hate it when people do stupid things just because the writers were too lazy or unimaginative to figure out a plausible way for something to happen. Like in cop shows when they yell to the guy from halfway down the block just so they get to pad out the show with a pointless five minute chase scene that could have been avoided if they's just walked up to him before talking.

Speaking of lazy, did anyone else watch the latest drek from JJ Abrams? I'm referring to the Revolution pilot. A "scientific" explanation of "electricity just stopped working". Or the three travelers finding out that the first person they talk to upon entering Chicago is (what a bloody amazing coincidence) just the person they were looking for.

I think Prometheus just did the job. If you don't think too much and just watch (with Alien in mind) it's a rather clever film. They put all the right pieces together to create a new spinoff AND a prequel. I'd still rate it better than for example Ted, Red Light, Cosmopolis, Stolen or Taken 2.

I must say that Revolution sounds a lot like Jericho. Unfortunately it was cancelled too early.

A "scientific" explanation of "electricity just stopped working".

That is about as scientific as some people can handle. Some members post crap like that all the time in the C/C++ forums -- "my program doesn't work, fix it immediately because I'm late for my class"

@Reverend Jim

JJ Abrams is a good writer!

I didn't know he create another show called "Revolution" this year. I might watch that show. I don't watch TV as much beside Person of Interest, Castle, Touch & Fringe. The best show I think he created was "LOST". I like that show a lot. I never saw a TV show that show a lot depth in each character plus involve philosophy & religion. I mean in LOST people get a second chance in life to start over again. I mean in reality no one gets a second chance in life. It's just a myth, it's hard because how can anyone let go the past and move forward. I just can't believe people can let go things that easily.

@pritaeas

I saw Red Light just now. It was OK. I don't believe in Psychic or Paranormal stuff. I mean in the end it was bit surprise and sad. I don't want to spoiler the plot. I thought Robert De Niro character was doing those stuff all along but it was the other character and the thing is that this person didn't knew either til the fight that knock some sense into this person.

I haven't seen those others movies yet: Ted, Cosmopolis, Stolen or Taken 2. I didn't know it came out yet in DVD already.

For an absolutely stellar discussion of how abysmally bad JJ Abrams' Star Trek reboot was, I highly recommend Star Trek by the Minute by John C. "Buck" Field. This is the most in-depth discussion of any movie I have ever read. There is one blog entry for each minute of this monumentally bad film.

@Reverend Jim

For an absolutely stellar discussion of how abysmally bad JJ Abrams' Star Trek reboot was

I'll read more from that link from John C. "Buck" Field tomorrow. I feel you really dislike him a lot as a writer so I won't mention him that much or at all.

It's getting late. I gotta go.

I dislike Abrams for the Star Trek reboot for several reasons. The main two being

His total dismissal of any intelligence on the part of the viewer.

Even though this is science fantasy (as opposed to science fiction) I can't forgive Abrams playing fast and loose with basic physics and mathematics.

His complete trashing of Gene Roddenberry's vision.

Star Fleet has been reduced to a collection of jarheads and morons. In Roddenberry's versison, Star Fleet was (with very few exceptions) the best of the best.

As for "Lost", the "they were dead all along" explanation is as big an insult to the viewers as deus ex machina or "and then he woke up and discovered it had all been a dream". Makes me glad I stopped watching after season one.

@Reverend Jim

I dislike Abrams for the Star Trek reboot for several reasons. The main two being
His total dismissal of any intelligence on the part of the viewer.

Even though this is science fantasy (as opposed to science fiction) I can't forgive Abrams playing fast and loose with basic physics and mathematics.
His complete trashing of Gene Roddenberry's vision.

Star Fleet has been reduced to a collection of jarheads and morons. In Roddenberry's versison, Star Fleet was (with very few exceptions) the best of the best.

I like Star Trek too. I saw TV shows when I was small. I watch (Star Trek: The Original Series & Star Trek: The Next Generation) but I didn't watch the other ones. I also watch all of the movies too.

I did read the thread, yes he did change few things base on the chemistry of the character. Yes, he did change Gene Roddenberry's version a little he made certain features more updated. I think (old) Spock was great to see the (young) Spock. I only wish (old) Captain Kirk was part of the film.

As for "Lost", the "they were dead all along" explanation is as big an insult to the viewers as deus ex machina or "and then he woke up and discovered it had all been a dream". Makes me glad I stopped watching after season one.

LOL, yeah you can say it was kinda like a dream. I think a lot viewers (including me) realized a lot of characters died on the island and they never got a chance to live. But I mean some survivors did got off the island and got their life back when they got home in the end. The whole show is like a puzzle in the end.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.