Can anyone here recommend a good alternative to DropBox?
I run a small team of family members on a personal project. We have been storing data on DropBox. Unfortunately we keep running out of memory for storing documents & photographs on DropBox. (i.e. 2GB is not enough!)
- We need about 10GB of space (5GB would be okay if pushed).
- We have a near zero budget. i.e. We do not want to pay more than say $5/year (i.e. mobile phone app level of fees!)
- Many of the team (of 6) are not computer literate. So we need something highly reliable and intuitive for us to store share documents (e.g. spreadsheet)
- We also need to be able to open shared files when we are not on line.
- If possible it would be great to have some sort of basic "file locking" system so that we can see if one of us is online and has a file open. This would avoid at least some over-writing of each others work. It would need to show the ID of the person who has the file open.
- Only once we have come to trust the software only then would we be happy to pay a bit more - particularly if we start to use it for work activities.
PS. We were thinking of Box, Copy.com or Zoho Docs?
PPS. Two members of the team refuse to use either Google or Microsoft/OneDrive (because they say that those organisations are spying on us all, massively violating our privacy!).