I downloaded I E 7 release candidate 1 and "suspect" that it has done something to my CD players as they no longer show up on "my computer", I've searched the web for an answer but to no avail. Can anyone help me please?

Leo

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

"suspect" that it has done something to my CD players

Uh... don't you mean just "CD"? I seriously doubt that an IE update could kill your CDs, so that means it's just a matter of figuring out the problem. Make sure your CDs are clean and scratch-free, try booting into Windows Safe Mode (tap the F8 key). Also, I think that Sony CDs install copy-protection software on Windows computers, so that could be interfering too.

Uh... don't you mean just "CD"? I seriously doubt that an IE update could kill your CDs, so that means it's just a matter of figuring out the problem. Make sure your CDs are clean and scratch-free, try booting into Windows Safe Mode (tap the F8 key). Also, I think that Sony CDs install copy-protection software on Windows computers, so that could be interfering too.

Thank you, but I am referring to the actual CD players, I have two players, one mainly for DVD's and the other for CD's. My computer does not recognise either player any more. When I go to "my computer", the "d" nor the "e" drive show up any more. My flashdrives show up ok.

Any suggestions any one please?

Leo

Have you tried System Restore?

Yes I have , thank you.

Leo

Yes, I have, thank you.

No luck as yet!

Leo

Yes, I have, thank you.

No luck as yet!

Leo

I've just discovered that my floppy drive does not work any more either. However, the floppy drive shows up when I go to "my computer".
When I try to open a floppy, it asks me to insert a disk while there is a disk in it?!

OK, I assume you have one CD rom drive, and one DVD drive that are causing you problems?

Can you supply any more information for us, such as where did you download this IE 7 release candidate from, and did you d/l and install anything else along with it before the problem occured?
What O/S are you running and maybe some hardware specs to boot!!

OK, I assume you have one CD rom drive, and one DVD drive that are causing you problems?

Can you supply any more information for us, such as where did you download this IE 7 release candidate from, and did you d/l and install anything else along with it before the problem occured?
What O/S are you running and maybe some hardware specs to boot!!

I downloaded IE7 directly from Microsoft, however, I un-installed it and the problem is still there so my "assumption" was wrong. I removed my CD player and must have disconnected the power to my floppy drive by accident. After re-connecting the power to the floppy drive, that works again. And yes, I have 2 drives, one CD and one DVD. I run Windows XP Prof. I have deleted everything that I downloaded since installing IE7 but that has not made any difference either.
My processor is 1.67 gigahertz AMD Atlon XP. One harddive 40 Gb (27 GB free) and a second one of 20 Gb (17 Gb free)
I have NEC DVD RW ND-3520A and a LITE-ON LTR-52327S
496 Mb installed memory
BIOS Phoenix Tech. LTD 6.00 PG 04/18/2003 (I've checked the BIOS settings and they apear to be correct)
I have several printers connected.
I use broadband.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.

Thank you for your attention to my problem(s).

Leo

After some more searching and "playing" around, I received a menu saying that I had "error 41". I looked that up and found that Article ID 894730 by M S on September 28, 2005 described the precise problem I had. I opened the registry adn I can tell you that I'm still shaking in my slippers, but deleted the "files" (?) as suggested and sure enough, I now have my drives back.

Thanks to all who tried to help me.

regards from DownUnder

Leo

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.