Does anyone know of a minimum set of documentation that needs to be included with a Software Package in order to sell it to the clients? What additional documents would be required if the source code was also included?

Here's the list that I've come up with so far:

Standard Documentation
• System Requirements
• Installation Guide
• User Manual
• Software License
• Support

Additional Documentation (if source code is also provided)
• System Architecture Diagram
• Design Document
• Database Document / Data Dictionary

Can someone help me to find a legal source (if there is a any) for Software Documentation Standards?

Thanks, in advance.

Does anyone know of a minimum set of documentation that needs to be included with a Software Package in order to sell it to the clients? What additional documents would be required if the source code was also included?

Realistically, you need only enough for the user to understand it and take advantage of the features. If an item on your list supports that goal, include it. If it doesn't, don't bother.

Yes, you should list the system requirements and license agreement. You need installation instructions, including instructions on how to get tech support. You certainly need a manual. If you're especially kind, you'll include a tutorial; I've done hundreds of tutorials over the years, and I'm always impressed when I use one that helps me learn to use the most common features.

Can someone help me to find a legal source (if there is a any) for Software Documentation Standards?

I'd start with the Society for Technical Communication (http://www.stc.org/), though in reality there aren't any standards that everybody follows.

Thank you for your help. I think including tutorials is a great idea. I'll include it in my list. I'll go to the web site and see if I find any relevant information.

Have a great day.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.