I am completing my degree in Multimedia and Software Developement. The two languages that are being focused on are VB.net and Java. When I finish my degree, I will have not had a class in C++. Is C++ not used very much any more? I was just kind of curious.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Im into c\c++ and ive noticed that its not really that popular, but i believe this is becase the level its at. Its kind of in the middle, but alot of people love java for multimedia because its easier and lesser work, due to it being a high level language and all.

Well, contrary to what you guys have heard, C/C++ is probably the most used language in the industry today. C# is a nitch language, Java is limited, too.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

I agree, you probably won't even need to learn c++, java and the .net is the languages that businesses focus on nowadays.

I agree, you probably won't even need to learn c++, java and the .net is the languages that businesses focus on nowadays.

Doesn't sound like you've been in the industry very long (if at all) if you think Java and .NET is the current focus. Sorry, it's C/C++. Web design is still a small part of the coding base. There is no way you can write system contols in Java, and microprocessing and .net will never be compatable.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Actually, my point wasn't concerning industry, but rather business style applications.

Since the OP didn't actually say which field he would like to pursue, I'll concede the argument and say I made a big assumption.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.